S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OEM Shock Replacement

Old 03-15-2021, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OEM Shock Replacement

Hi guys,
I have an 04 AP2 with 53k miles. Right rear started to make noise over potholes and out of driveways. Have a new pair of end links since I've read these eventually die. I took a look-see and found that the shock was leaking. From reading y'alls very informative threads, I deduced that the life was over for the 17 year old unit. And since the other 3 are of the same age, I plan to change all four, duh. My plan is to go OEM, and please kindly don't try to convince me to go coil overs. I've been reading how good Bilsteins, H&R and others are, but I am an older dude and wish to "keep it simple." Street use only. Call me grandpa if you want, lol. The question is, with the year and mileage, would you think I will need to replace the springs, too? Asking because just trying to save where I can since I am close to retirement.
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2021, 01:06 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Can't answer your question, but I can say that you have a kindred soul here. I get tempted to go to coil overs from time to time. I too am a bit on the "mature" side of the spectrum, (my preferred term). There are three beautiful little ones who call me grandpa. I'm in the Covid high risk category by age. (ugh). I am growing weary of being referred to as "elderly."

I have resisted the coil over temptation so far. If I have to replace shocks I will probably be looking to go oem too. My car has just 30K miles though, so I doubt they are likely to need replacing soon.

On the other hand, if oem shocks are not available when the time comes, I will gleefully go out and find a good set of street oriented coil overs and probably put a one inch drop on my car. They haven't managed to put us in the graveyard yet!

Last edited by rpg51; 03-16-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:50 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I would really doubt that the springs are worn out.

You should be fine with shocks. Maybe you'll need new bumpstops.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 310 Likes on 149 Posts

The OEM springs are high-quality steel with a think protective powder coat. Your original springs might have "sagged" very slightly with age (a small fraction of an inch, really more like "settling" than "sagging"); but in terms of performance behavior (spring rate, linearity of response, total range of motion) they are almost certainly unchanged from new. As long as there's no obvious rust they are good to go for another 17 years, and then some.

Besides damper bodies, the only things you might consider replacing are the rubber spring seats (if torn) and the foam bump stops (if they seem "crumbly"). To be safe, maybe also buy a couple of the nylock nuts just in case one gets stuck on the old damper and can't be reused.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:44 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

With those low miles, the only thing I think might not be perfect (other than the leaking shock) is the lower rubber isolator.

The rubber in the so called top hats, the component on the top that holds spring in place, is thick and strong, and not subject to as much stress. Lower perch rubber is thinner and bears all the weight of that corner of the whole car.

Of you are a diy guy, you can remove shocks bring them to a local garage to swap springs onto new shocks, then reinstall the shocks. Proably around $20-$40 for spring swapping all 4.

Getting springs off is easy. Not like struts that can literally kill you. But getting spring back on not so easy. Two people can do it, one compressing by hand, other getting nut on. One strong and determined person can do it, but its quite challenging. You can eliminate all this hassle by just letting a local mechanic use his wall mounted strut spring compressor.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:01 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

53K miles isn't much for a normally driven s2000. Springs don't need replacing unless broken. OEM dampers are quality units.
darcy
Old 03-17-2021, 03:29 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Do you guys think that there is any danger OEM dampers will not be available in the long term? I am slowly amassing my own little parts stash - selecting things that wear and that are best replaced with OEM. Of course, shocks are available in the aftermarket in the form of coil overs. So, maybe this is not the best use of my budget. I did buy a clutch however. Not cheap. But, it is a wear item, and the after market for clutches is not a place I want to go.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:02 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Joni yellow.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:35 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Joni yellow.
I prefer the Chachi yellows personally .....

The following users liked this post:
JWN6264 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Genuine thanks for all of you that provided me with very sensible input.

Rpg51 – I hear you on the temptations to go with coilovers. I am not at the point yet to be called geriatric, but getting there. We are in the same boat, lol. If you are adamant on OEM, suggest you get a set now before it is too late. But a one inch drop would be cool, too. I hear you on that!

B serious, twohoos and darcyw – Thanks for your input and confirmation that the springs should be fine. Very informative! Will take your advice and add bumpstops, spring seats and nylock nuts to my shopping cart. I hate when I start a DIY only to come to a screeching halt when I discover other components need replacement. So thanks for the tips. Btw twohoos, no apparent rust on the springs.

Car Analogy – Big thanks. I assume the lower rubber isolator is the same as the spring seats that twohoos mentioned. Advice coming from the both of you, I will definitely replace them. Thanks for the advice that the rubber in the top hats are not subject to that much stress. However, I don’t plan on doing this again for a while so I may just change them out, since it is 17 y.o. and I am in there. Been reading on all of the good S2ki DIY threads on this and feel I can tackle this with a buddy, especially for the reinstallation.

You guys are just great! Will let you know how the project goes!
The following users liked this post:
jonnyrotten (03-19-2021)

Quick Reply: OEM Shock Replacement