S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OEM RollBar hoops

Old 08-05-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan,Aug 5 2010, 12:58 PM
Wasn't really mean. Just an explanation.

If you paid someone to do work (change your soft top) and they break something that isn't broken and didn't need to be touched then what would you want them to do?

I certainly wouldn't settle for superglue.......

Gluing would be half-assed in the effect the plastic is melted together by a small thin wire when it is made. You can't replicate that after you have opened the covers.
I see what you're saying.

Well to each his own, but seeing as how I made my own mistake, i'm not paying hundreds of dollars to fix a plastic roll hoop cover. If i can stick those two pieces back together, and it looks stock (WITH NO GLUE Showing), works well, and for all intents and purposes does what it's made to do, I don't care if it's glue, wax, melted plastic or golden magic paste, I'll be okay with it. If i used JB weld would be considered double assed? lol.

I'm just kidding. Thanks for giving me an objective standpoint.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

the two pieces are connected via a wire that runs through that heats up
Old 08-06-2010, 03:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fail to mikegarrison and chubbychu.

The hoops are ONE PIECE OF PLASTIC. They WERE two pieces, but when the car is assembled, they are heat welded/fused together. They still look like it's two pieces of plastic but they aren't. It is IMPOSSIBLE for these things to come undone on their own. Someone HAD to pry it apart.

As for fixing, you might be able to get away with it with some C clamps, some good epoxy, and 48 hours of drying, but they will NEVER be as strong as stock.

Go get them replaced. Half assed work is for suckers.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

I've had brand new roll hoops split coming out of the box, and on 06-07 cars split when removing from the car. They were not correctly plastic welded together.

They are very difficult to glue back together, wouldn't recommend it.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Aug 6 2010, 03:05 AM
Fail to mikegarrison and chubbychu.

The hoops are ONE PIECE OF PLASTIC. They WERE two pieces, but when the car is assembled, they are heat welded/fused together. They still look like it's two pieces of plastic but they aren't. It is IMPOSSIBLE for these things to come undone on their own. Someone HAD to pry it apart.

As for fixing, you might be able to get away with it with some C clamps, some good epoxy, and 48 hours of drying, but they will NEVER be as strong as stock.

Go get them replaced. Half assed work is for suckers.
First of all, I resent being called "sucker" and "half-assed" especially by a moderator.

but, I think the thing that makes me the most "irked" is that a handful of people automatically categorize putting these things back together with glue as 100% "half-assed". Nevermind the fact that the glue actually holds the pieces together. Because to these people, form is ALWAYS more important than function. Out of all the egotistical purist BS I've ever seen this has gotta be the worst case of it. All this over a roll hoop cover?!

If that was the case, why not get a new bumper everytime theres a rock chip? Cuz it'll never be perfect OEM status. Don't even bother with touch-up paint, or aftermarket paint...ever.

And when your top starts to tear, make sure you buy a new top EVERYTIME.

and don't ever bother getting aftermarket tires, because getting an aftermarket tire is definitely half-assing it and will never be as good as stock. It's absurd!

This is how I feel. I know that the hoops are welded plastic. I'm not denying that. I also realize as one piece it's strong. But where do you get off telling people that if they "glue" their hoops back together, they're doing a half-assed job? Maybe you could say that it's not as strong, or it might not last as long, but to me half-assed implicates lack of effort, and believe me, when I was gluing my covers back together, there was lots of effort.

What about the covers that split due to weight from the cover being attached to it? Or the covers that split due to the weight of the headrest mounted speakers?

Okay, I admit, you feel more whole after buying new ones that are bonded from the factory, but under no circumstance does that mean that you CANNOT fix it yourself for a FRACTION of the cost.

Anyways, I'm not here to cause trouble. I just feel pretty strongly that such a superficial mishap on the car doesnt require spending hundreds of dollars to fix.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

If anyone has any broken roll hopes, I'd love to experiment with them

I have yet to see any glued hoops stay together. but there is a first time for everything. Perhaps there will be "chubbychu's rollbar fix" just like a Billman TCT.

I'm thinking PL400 construction adhesive. If you only saw what a guy went through to pick up a quarter that I glued to the sidewalk with PL400. He destroyed the quarter with a hammer and chisel
Old 08-06-2010, 05:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In 2001 some clowns did some work on my car and in the process, separated and then rejoined the roll hoop covers. About a year later they split.

I went through a long process which involved cleaning the joined surfaces and removing the wire that they run a current through to heat up during original assembly.

I then used a two part epoxy (Araldite) evenly applied to both halves, pressed together tightly and bound with gaffer tape for several days. I then reinstalled and it's been on my car ever since.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by chubbychu,Aug 6 2010, 07:18 AM
First of all, I resent being called "sucker" and "half-assed" especially by a moderator.

but, I think the thing that makes me the most "irked" is that a handful of people automatically categorize putting these things back together with glue as 100% "half-assed". Nevermind the fact that the glue actually holds the pieces together. Because to these people, form is ALWAYS more important than function. Out of all the egotistical purist BS I've ever seen this has gotta be the worst case of it. All this over a roll hoop cover?!

If that was the case, why not get a new bumper everytime theres a rock chip? Cuz it'll never be perfect OEM status. Don't even bother with touch-up paint, or aftermarket paint...ever.

and don't ever bother getting aftermarket tires, because getting an aftermarket tire is definitely half-assing it and will never be as good as stock. It's absurd!

This is how I feel. I know that the hoops are welded plastic. I'm not denying that. I also realize as one piece it's strong. But where do you get off telling people that if they "glue" their hoops back together, they're doing a half-assed job? Maybe you could say that it's not as strong, or it might not last as long, but to me half-assed implicates lack of effort, and believe me, when I was gluing my covers back together, there was lots of effort.

What about the covers that split due to weight from the cover being attached to it? Or the covers that split due to the weight of the headrest mounted speakers?

Okay, I admit, you feel more whole after buying new ones that are bonded from the factory, but under no circumstance does that mean that you CANNOT fix it yourself for a FRACTION of the cost.

Anyways, I'm not here to cause trouble. I just feel pretty strongly that such a superficial mishap on the car doesnt require spending hundreds of dollars to fix.
Resent? Wow!

The fact that you feel so strongly about someone else's opinion that was not directed specifically at you or your work suggests to me that you are not completely satisfied with the fact that you split your hoop covers and/or the end results of your repair and you're looking for validation.

If your repair is as transparent and reliable as you say it is, offering some tips and pictures might go a lot further toward you convincing others that repair is better than replace. After all, it's a history of several years of split covers on a very DIY-oriented forum that has generated the consensus you've found here in this thread.

Also, keep in mind there is a big difference between paying a professional to do a job and having him/her break something and offer a less-than-new fix and making a mistake yourself and accepting a less-than-new fix.

If you made the mistake and you're satisfied with your fix, props to you.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by chubbychu,Aug 6 2010, 07:18 AM

Hey crybaby relax yourself, grab a tissue. I don't know if you notice, but my comments were aimed at the shop that did his halfassed work. I never said that if someone had rollhoops split on them that there is anything wrong with gluing them back together. I was talking about the stupid shop, who split the hoops then tried to hide the fact....of their half assed work.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by 00CivicSi,Aug 6 2010, 01:49 PM
Resent? Wow!

The fact that you feel so strongly about someone else's opinion that was not directed specifically at you or your work suggests to me that you are not completely satisfied with the fact that you split your hoop covers and/or the end results of your repair and you're looking for validation.

If your repair is as transparent and reliable as you say it is, offering some tips and pictures might go a lot further toward you convincing others that repair is better than replace. After all, it's a history of several years of split covers on a very DIY-oriented forum that has generated the consensus you've found here in this thread.

Also, keep in mind there is a big difference between paying a professional to do a job and having him/her break something and offer a less-than-new fix and making a mistake yourself and accepting a less-than-new fix.

If you made the mistake and you're satisfied with your fix, props to you.
His actual words were: "Fail to mikegarrison and chubbychu" How is that NOT directed at me?

And I hardly need people to "validate" my work. I simply wanted people to know there is an alternative to buying new hoops. And for the record, I DID try to help out on this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...f=252&t=806448

But....Thanks for shedding some perspective on the situation. I'm not dying inside, But I did just want to put my opinion out there.

Quick Reply: OEM RollBar hoops