S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OEM Pressure Plate, Exedy Disc. F1 Flywheel REVIEW

Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Pressure Plate, Exedy Disc. F1 Flywheel REVIEW

Hey guys I did some research before buy this setup and most things seemed to be inconclusive. I hope to help anyone considering this setup with some concrete review.

I have needed the clutch for a very long time but I put about 4-5k miles on the car ever year so I just waited. I knew that I wanted to run something that had a bit more grab and the same pressure in the pedal, but I did want to lighten the flywheel to get some easier rev's. I loved all my B-Series and BMW lightened flywheels as they transformed the way the car performed. That said I knew OEM pressure plate would get me the pedal, Exedy (in my experience) gives just the right grab without anything to harsh and still an organic disc, and flywheel is where I was stomped.

I researched and found the clutch and flywheel package from Gripforce.com and since I had poor results from the Fidenza Flywheel (insane chatter and idle, on more than one application) in the past and all other flywheels were too expensive and/or too light, I choose to get the less known F1 Racing Flywheel.

I don't have any mods worth mentioning, I am working on "Stance" right now and have a race car so the S is really just my fun weekend and cornors car ( it replaced my E36 M). I dont have any pictures as well. So lets get to the reviews.

First Glance:

The OEM Pressure Plate is really just that and merits no explantion.

Exedy Disc. Stage 1 Organic (full face OE replacement). I am a bit biase to the Exedy product line, but it looks great and has a nice material blend.

F1 Racing Flywheel - Nice looking product, well constructed. Only thing really worth mentioning is that I was impressed with the surface face. It is a single piece and can't be removed for replacement in the future. But that design is why I believe I had so many problems with Fidenza. Instead it is one soild balanced cunk of metal and fit the disc "spot on".

Installation:

I performed the installation myself at a friends local shop. www.atfspeed.com

**What a pain this was, I'm glad I didn't opt to do it on the floor in my garage. Respect to anyone that has!!**

Removed Disc was laughable. Only a honda can survive a clutch running on rivits. (I'm not the real idiot, I bought the car with 70k and have about 80k on it now)

OEM Flywheel - so glazed I could fix my hair in it.

F1 Racing Flywheel - My friend was kind enough to check it on the machine for True and Balance measurements and he was surprised at how well it did. (visit his site and you will see why I trust his word). It bolted in perfect and looked to be a good choice.

First Drives: (what we have been waiting for)

Exedy Disc- Great grab and smooth chatter free engagement!

F1 Racing Flywheel- NO VIBRATIONS, no chatter, no slipping

Overview:

I got the exact pressure in the pedal that I was looking for. Exedy grads really nice and has no signs of chatter. Flywheel is turning out to be really nice. Rev's are smoother and easier than stock. I have only put 25 miles on it so I have yet to give it some good rips, but I will drive it everyday so I can break it in asap. Then I will let you guys know how the setup acts on my VERY AGGRESSIVE driving!

Note: Flywheel does effect the RPM drop when clutch is applied (all do) but surprising not as much as I expected. In fact in previous cases I have had to adjust idle to prevent my cars from stalling and I have no need for that here. Good wieght choice is important.

Hope this helps I will be checking post to answer any questions and or insults(LOL) and will let update as soon as I can got WOT, do some hole shots, and slam some gears.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I surprised to hear you stuck with the OEM pressure plate - it's widely abused on here for not clamping very well...
Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 PM

the flywheel is 10lbs or so?

vids please :]
Old 09-04-2009, 04:35 PM

thank you. i was going to go with the same kit, but now i may not get the fidanza after hearing your experiences
Old 09-05-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbrig,Sep 3 2009, 07:32 PM
I surprised to hear you stuck with the OEM pressure plate - it's widely abused on here for not clamping very well...
I think that the pedal is soft with it but I would be hard pressed to say that it has anything to do with the grab. Grip is mainly from the disc and the pressure that you get in the pedal is from the pressure plate. You just dont get a hard pedal from an OEM pressure plate as compared to something like a 3800lb ACT Pressure Plate. But I have a ankle breaking pressure plate in the hatch and couldn't image doing that to the S.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, great success? or suck a$$ greatly?

I'm turbo, about 300HP, want to upgrade from stock. Any recommendations? Similar setup as above, only with a like a stage 2 clutch disk?

Good luck, have fun on the corners, and be safe!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 PM

Almost broken in and there is a clear difference in Revs. Its much smoother and quicker revs. I haven't taken it up past 5k yet!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 AM

Hey this is the exact EXACT setup that I purchased...I'm still waiting to install mine, I bet im on the damn rivets by now too..
Old 09-08-2009, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason why people go with oem clutch disk is to avoid "clutch buzz"
Old 02-20-2010, 08:40 AM

aplogize for bringing this thread back from the dead but i was looking into the same exact setup for my ap1. looking for a oem clutch replacement and flywheel. good info! going by this thread, i will probably go with this setup.

Quick Reply: OEM Pressure Plate, Exedy Disc. F1 Flywheel REVIEW