S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OEM plus engine formula

Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 AM

Received 1,230 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Take the first step by fitting a high flow cat and get a "Gernby" FlashPro engine tune. Peak power on a Mustang Dyno on my car was 221hp at the rear wheels. The main benefit is VTEC now engages at 3600rpm rather than 6000. It's the power under the curve that is impressive. High power cam is just under my right foot at almost any speed. This tune and a set of Extreme or Max performance summer tires has been all I've needed to make the car even more enjoyable than stock. The sounds from the obligatory K&N FIPK intake and "gentlemanly performance" Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhaust add to the illusion of power -- low rpm VTEC power is real.

Beyond these tweaks you're into tailoring the car for a specific race track, not general back roads (and on ramps).

-- Chuck
Old 07-19-2018, 04:34 AM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Take the first step by fitting a high flow cat and get a "Gernby" FlashPro engine tune. Peak power on a Mustang Dyno on my car was 221hp at the rear wheels. The main benefit is VTEC now engages at 3600rpm rather than 6000. It's the power under the curve that is impressive. High power cam is just under my right foot at almost any speed. This tune and a set of Extreme or Max performance summer tires has been all I've needed to make the car even more enjoyable than stock. The sounds from the obligatory K&N FIPK intake and "gentlemanly performance" Tanabe Medalion Touring dual exhaust add to the illusion of power -- low rpm VTEC power is real.

Beyond these tweaks you're into tailoring the car for a specific race track, not general back roads (and on ramps).

-- Chuck
Does VTEC kick in or surge in at that low engagement point? Any characteristic audible change in the exhaust note at that point?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,028 Posts

OP doesn't have the car yet....

Driving it would be my first step.

A 240hp, 160LB-FT 4 cylinder is not going to feel like your large 6cyl porsche. But If you had wanted the same driving experience as your Porsche...you would have kept the Porsche.

So...why not just see what the S2000 has to offer before trying to throw 150whp at it? Lots of NA people are happy with theirs....
Old 07-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious

A 240hp, 160LB-FT 4 cylinder is not going to feel like your large 6cyl porsche. But If you had wanted the same driving experience as your Porsche...you would have kept the Porsche.

So...why not just see what the S2000 has to offer before trying to throw 150whp at it? Lots of NA people are happy with theirs....

Straight facts right here, I'm so content with I/H/E. I've had a Haltech Plug-in on my desk for 2 years now that I don't even care to install and tune.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:01 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

300 hp NA in a 4-cylinder is never a cheap/easy prospect.

My aFe Takeda intake apparently dynos at 8 hp over stock, butt dyno seems to agree.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious

The 911 is not going anywhere. I’ll be buried in it

I do have some seat time in an S2K. And boxes have started to arrive with parts already

handling characteristics are VERY different in the 2. Also the Porsche feels more solid than any S2K I’ve been in but no surprise given one is from a company based in n 100k cars and the other is based on economy cars. Yes, the S2000 heritage is very different but still. Also, Japanese vs German engineering and let’s not even start on engine location and weight bias.

I am keeping the Porsche and the driving experience is more similar than you think. Now the new turbo generation.... that’s different but I don’t like them. Don’t care about the torque. The magic happens in the upper 35% and if you’re in the right gear then it has plenty of pull.

That being said, the engine driving characteristics are much closer than you would think. Low torque and similar redlines. VTec vs a cam that doesn’t open until 5k. That plus the ability to work on a car that is LIGGTWEIGHT make the S2K special to me. I’m not a Honda fan.... would rather have a 15 year old german anything vs. a new Honda for commutes.

I plan to stay NA butsoing my own research, I was pretty ignorant about the S2K engine. I’m learning but have plenty to learn yet. Don’t be so defensive, if I’m wrong I will be the first to admit and as I try things Will do my best to add value to the company community.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro_Ricer

I do have some seat time in an S2K. And boxes have started to arrive with parts already

handling characteristics are VERY different in the 2. Also the Porsche feels more solid than any S2K I’ve been in but no surprise given one is from a company based in n 100k cars and the other is based on economy cars. Yes, the S2000 heritage is very different but still. Also, Japanese vs German engineering and let’s not even start on engine location and weight bias.

I am keeping the Porsche and the driving experience is more similar than you think. Now the new turbo generation.... that’s different but I don’t like them. Don’t care about the torque. The magic happens in the upper 35% and if you’re in the right gear then it has plenty of pull.

That being said, the engine driving characteristics are much closer than you would think. Low torque and similar redlines. VTec vs a cam that doesn’t open until 5k. That plus the ability to work on a car that is LIGGTWEIGHT make the S2K special to me. I’m not a Honda fan.... would rather have a 15 year old german anything vs. a new Honda for commutes.

I plan to stay NA butsoing my own research, I was pretty ignorant about the S2K engine. I’m learning but have plenty to learn yet. Don’t be so defensive, if I’m wrong I will be the first to admit and as I try things Will do my best to add value to the company community.
You should get the original AP1 with the true 9000rpm F20C engine. No clutch delay valve, stiffer suspension setup and overall sharper character than the '04 and up AP2. It offers the most visceral driving experience hands down. Honda even went back closer to most of the AP1's characteristic settings (quicker steering rack than the AP2, stiffer sway bars and spring rates, etc) when they built the 699 limited run CR's. All S2K's are super solid and much more highly engineered than any other Honda save the NSX because both of them are engineered on the same high level (these are the words of the designer Uehara-san) and built alongside each other for several years at the Takanezawa plant in Tochigi, Japan until from '06 they were built in Suzuka. All this adds up to a special package.

We all have preferences but I'd take a Japanese engineered car over a German one any day. There are a handful of German engineered vehicles I do like quite a bit like the German spec E36 M3 (coolest car BM ever made) and the very track capable GT3RS from Porsche (I was quite surprised to see it rev almost as high as the AP1 S2K). Then the best Audi ever made (R8) is a car I liked for a long time too.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro_Ricer

As a mechanic of 20 yrs, there's a lot of humor in hearing that you'd rather have a 15yr old Euro vehicle over something that pretty much never breaks down. On your commute too and from work today, count how many mid 90's euros you see on the road vs. even older honda's. It's a laughable result.
The following users liked this post:
RolanTHUNDER (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 06:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by unclebobby
As a mechanic of 20 yrs, there's a lot of humor in hearing that you'd rather have a 15yr old Euro vehicle over something that pretty much never breaks down. On your commute too and from work today, count how many mid 90's euros you see on the road vs. even older honda's. It's a laughable result.
We can debate the semantics of this all day long but I got 280K miles from my old E class and it was flawless with only standard maintenance. For me it's about having something with a quality chassis and mechanical engineering goodness that doesn't sound like the middle of a hurricane around a tin can when you're driving down the highway. My current BMW 5 series is quieter with the sunroof open that my best friends Lexus ES350h with his sunroof closed. Also, neither of these were ever meant to be sports cars but the driving dynamics isn't even in the same ballpark. Also - I get better acceleration and hwy MPG's with my turbo 4 than his hybrid.

On a different note - there is something to be said about a honda standing up to neglect better than a euro but we could debate all day long the reliability and longevity of a well maintained european staple like a 5 series, 3 series or E class. I'm not talking some weird experimental V12 because I can raise you the equivalent fail of some japanese junk too.)
Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

high flow cat, single exit exhaust, and a lightweight flywheel will give you good butt dyno HP.

Quick Reply: OEM plus engine formula