S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OEM Lug nuts become loose

Old 02-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 126 Posts

I would also have a look at the mating portion of the wheel, where it touches the rotor. There will sometimes be a buildup of oxidation from the dissimilar metals, check the rotors as well. My local shop cleans both mating areas as a precaution when they remove any wheel. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

$11? They're less than 6 bucks a nut new. From the right dealer. Admittedly seems expensive for 20 of 'em.

-- Chuck
Old 02-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
I would take a real close look at the lug nut seats in those wheels to see if they have been damaged. If you pull a wheel off and then fit a lug nut to the seat you should be able to tell if it is ok or distorted. If you have any doubt after doing that don't mess around - get them checked out by a competent wheel shop.

Were you using tapered lugs intended for after market alloy wheels on the oem wheels in the past?
Yes but it was not me but the previous owner. The car has 50k but I don't know how many miles and how long these has been on. I will have a close look at the seat! Thank you!

Last edited by Lawrenceh; 02-20-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hfreak
I would also have a look at the mating portion of the wheel, where it touches the rotor. There will sometimes be a buildup of oxidation from the dissimilar metals, check the rotors as well. My local shop cleans both mating areas as a precaution when they remove any wheel. Good luck.
The wheels are in good shape but has gone through ages so let me clean it up. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
$11? They're less than 6 bucks a nut new. From the right dealer. Admittedly seems expensive for 20 of 'em.

-- Chuck
I am not kidding but here in NNJ it's 10 bucks for each, which is killing me.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

You may want to think about replacing the lug bolt studs. May have stretched them ---> improper tightening.

Just a thought...
The following users liked this post:
Lawrenceh (02-21-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has happened to me as well, and the parts were the correct seat. I've learned to re-torque after a short trip and then again after a week.

Amount of preload you get at a particular torque can be largely influenced by the amount of corrosion and lubrication. Be sure the threads of both the nut and stud are clean and dry.
The following users liked this post:
Lawrenceh (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How old is your torque wrench?
If it is getting up there in age, and has never been recalibrated, you may not actually be achieving the indicated torque on the fastener. I had the same problem with a race car I had, my teammate and I would usually use his torque wrench to set and recheck torque before going out on track. We switched torque wrenches and the problem stopped immediately.

Do you set it back to its lowest numerical setting, and not any lower, when you store it?
If you a digital tq wrench (like Snap On), skip this. If not, and you have the type that requires you to twist the handle until you reach the desired tq setting you should always set the wrench back to lowest indicated setting when storing the wrench. For example, if the lowest indicated value is 10 ft/lbs, set it and leave it at that. Do not keep twisting until it bottoms out, well below that lowest indicated value. That will prematurely wear the internals and give inaccurate readings.

Have the wheels been powder coated or repainted?
I've also seen paint/coating in the nut seats cause the nuts to come loose after just a few miles of driving.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
You may want to think about replacing the lug bolt studs. May have stretched them ---> improper tightening.
Highly unlikely they've been stretched if he only torqued them once to 82 ft/lbs.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:55 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I think you may have had a buildup on the hubcentric part of the mounting surface (the hub itself). This results in the wheel not sitting flush. Driving the car works the wheel past the buildup, and torque comes off the studs. Then you re-torque, and all seems good.

In addition to above comments, I recommend removing all 4 wheels. If any wheels are STUCK to the car after lug removal, this means the hubcentric part needs to be cleaned, as well as the hubcentric holes in the wheels (Not the lug holes). Check for rust, or a white salt-like buildup.

As far as stretched studs, if you can turn the lugs easy by hand all the way until the wheel is flush, your studs are not stretched.

Last edited by Billman250; 02-21-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Quick Reply: OEM Lug nuts become loose