S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Odd squeek from rear suspension?

Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd squeek from rear suspension?

Hey so my car hit 52k miles or so and for some odd reason i've been hearing very odd squeeking sounds like metal on metal or like a dampener compressing every time i go up a steep driveway or down on uneven freeway roads. It's been worrying me cause i was told it could be my shocks going out, and im not exactly keen on having it collapse on me while driving. Im running OEM suspension with 17x9+45 Rpf1's with 255 in the rear and 225 in front. I've noticed the sound is from the rear and i also thought it could be from rubbing but ruled that out when the sound occurrence didn't match up with the wheels moving.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I haven't had the time to get the wheels off to check yet since i'm at school but will probably get to it this weekend. Let me know if you guys know of this problem; had it or known of it, and any fixes i should look into! Thanks very much!

EDIT: Okay so i did more research and i was wondering if it could be a hub issue? When the car was jacked up, i was hitting my tire with a rubber mallet and the driver side rear had a wiggle in it unlike the passenger rear which was snug and tight. Could this lead to anything? The sound happens much more often but still only when i drive over hard bumps or uneven bumps! ill try to get a video of the sound soon when its not raining, hopefully i can replicate it.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

first thing is first. take the wheel off and visual inspect. then check the bushings. make sure the springs are on correctly and is sitting in the holder on the perch. then check the nuts to make sure the suspension is on nice and tight. youll have to remove the liner in the trunk. is it coming from the driver side or passenger? get under the car and make sure everything is nice and snug. while youre down there check out your subframe bolts.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 PM

sorry for the late reply, but wouldn't those things be a problem that occurs all the time? This sound has only recently started occuring but its becoming more and more prominent, i hear it on small driveway ramps and dips now too
Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Often noises you only hear some of the time actually occur all of the time, but are just more quiet sometimes and drowned out by the rest of the noise tire noise, engine noise, traffic noise, etc).

An intermittent noise may just be intermittently loud enough to hear.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Community Organizer

check all the connections first. start with the top hats and work your way down. inspect the bushings. see if your shocks have any leakage. 52k miles shocks should not be worn out just yet. unless you were hitting potholes left and right.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 PM

thanks for the good info guys!

gonna check out the car from top to bottom this friday, ill update you guys with anything i find!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Alright guys, bad news.

Checked the car out, no subframe bolts loose, no bolts on arms loose, no leaks on dampers, bushings are fine, springs seated, and lugs torqued.

The only thing left to check is the suspension bolts behind the trunk liner that I haven't ripped apart yet. Those trunk liner bolts are intimidating but yeah, gonna rip those out tomorrow and check the bolts on top.

Had it checked out with a mechanic too, he heard the sound but when he looked through the car, he found nothing wrong :|

Anything else you guys think i should checkout?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:47 PM

A video of the squeak could help narrow it. usually squeaks on suspension just mean something needs lubrication, namely the sway bar bushings or control arm bushings, though it's not something requiring immediate attention.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Community Organizer

ok after you check those rear bolts. i have 2 questions.

did you or the previous change the suspension?

and if so was the install properly done while pre loading the suspension
Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 PM

I believe the suspension was never changed.

I have never done it and the previous owner never modded it.

Is there a way to check that though?

Quick Reply: Odd squeek from rear suspension?