S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Odd oil leak

Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More than likely your Valve Cover Seal. It is leaking from the rear passenger corner up close to the firewall. My car had this very same issue and i was thinking Rear Main too. Before i went that far. I cleaned up the oil, had the valve cover gasket replaced and boom...Leak is gone and no more oil on tranny...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It could all be oil spill during adding oil.
Its so easy to spill oil topping up.
That oil will make its way down and driving will make it get all over the place.

So, find out where it is coming from, IOW follow xvipers advice.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts exactly^ But since he cleaned it and took another shot it is definitely leaking somewhere.. Mine looked like that before it was just excess. Kind of want to check again to make sure though
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 AM

you can see from the oil residue coming from the top. Look at the bar code on the transmission. It more than likely isnt dripping from the bottom. Its just gathering by the opening. I can almost bet that its your valve cover gasket leaking close to the firewall.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check my oil pan seal and my valve cover again. At least its a heck of a lot easier than removing the transmission.

So I took my valve cover off today and checked if it was my valve cover that was leaking and it didn't look like it was leaking. There was no wet oil or oil residue. As for spilling oil since topping off, I have not added oil since least season (oil change before storage). My engine has not been burning significant oil (thank you Amsoil!) to warrant the addition of oil. So my next step will be to find some gauze and test as xviper mentioned. I'm definitely hoping its leaking from the oil pan somewhere and not my main seal.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 PM

When my leak was just like that, my valve cover was leaking not visible to the naked eye since it was between the firewall and motor. At least you ruled out a possibility. That's where my issue was at the time. Keep us posted on your findings. Hope its not the main seal...
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 AM

I am having the same problem. Did you ever find out what was leaking? I had oil build up on the slave cylinder and thought thats what was leaking. Unfortunetly I replaced the CMC and slave and still have a leak. Im hoping its the valve cover but I don't see much oil there to accoudt for drips on the floor.
Thanks in advance
Old 12-16-2012, 09:59 AM

I'm pretty sure its my main seal, I haven't fixed it yet due to our season ending and the leak seems to be off and on. I tested with the gauze trick and mostly the center was saturated with oil. Check the few points mentioned in this thread and try xvipers test to see if you can narrow down the leak.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:41 PM

Default Oil leak

did you ever find out what this was? I’m having the same issue. It’s leaking on the cmc as well

Originally Posted by viewmtrp
I'm pretty sure its my main seal, I haven't fixed it yet due to our season ending and the leak seems to be off and on. I tested with the gauze trick and mostly the center was saturated with oil. Check the few points mentioned in this thread and try xvipers test to see if you can narrow down the leak.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:58 AM

Default Picture

Originally Posted by Stook3
did you ever find out what this was? I’m having the same issue. It’s leaking on the cmc as well

Where I found all the oil

Quick Reply: Odd oil leak