S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Odd oil leak

Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd oil leak

Hey guys so recently I've noticed that I had a few drops of oil on my garage floor after I had pulled my car out. At first I was thinking engine oil leak so I checked my oil and it hasn't burnt a drop since my last oil change. Also looking at the oil color and trying to smell it, it didn't match the smell nor color of my engine oil.

So I decided to jack up the car and take a look. My drain bolt and my filter was clean as a whistle however, where the transmission meets the engine is where most of the grime and oil build up was located. I have also double checked all around the oil pan soju that the source wasn't coming from the seal. I have taken some pictures to illustrate.

So my question is, if its leaking from within the transmission (around the spines) wouldn't the oil spatter onto my fly wheel/clutch and cause it to slip? If anyone has any idea of where this leak could be coming from that would be great.

Also the car runs perfectly fine, no slipping, shifting is crisp as its always been, no codes, oil is full and no abnormal noises.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 PM

seems to be coming from the rear main seal on the engine
Old 07-03-2012, 01:29 PM

If its leaking from that seal, wouldn't the oil splatter everywhere especially onto my clutch?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 PM

I had the rear main seal leak on my h22 civic and never felt the clutch slip or any burning oil smell. Looked exactly like the second pic.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil pan could also be possibly leaking around the silicone. But if its never been taken off or resealed right I doubt it. Could also be oil spilled from taking the valve cover off/overspilling oil? I had alittle on the bottom of mine for a while just like that but my rear main was already replaced and I taken the valve cover off multiple times. Thats always what I assumed was just run off. Either that or A)the mechanic installed it wrong (doubt it, would of been a lot more severe), B) CRANKWALK . But I am doubting that. Probably just run off. It is the bottom of the motor so it would make sense, that is where it would collect.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:51 AM

So judging from the pictures and from me getting under the car, the leak seems to be originating from within the area where the trans and engine meet. So before I go ahead and start taking that apart does anyone have any other opinions? I triple checked my pan, my valve cover and I haven't touched my oil since last season when I put fresh stuff in. I just don't want to go through the hassle of taking off the trans realizing that it was something that I didn't need to remove the trans for lol.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you arent losing oil doesnt run off seem fairly possible? Like I said it is the lowest part of the engine.. Try this to see if it confirms what I am saying. Have the engine cold and get something like water and pour it on the oil cap or next to it (NOT IN THE OIL, LEAVE THE CAP ON ) and see if you can see the water at the bottom collecting like the oil is. Or do the same thing but on the side of the valve cover. Like I said I always assumed that it was run off. Hope to God I am right for the sake of our cars LOL.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The amount of oil as seen in the picture as a result of a leaking oil pan seal or from the rear main seal won't be detectable on the dipstick as reduced oil level.
Are you sure it's not the oil pan seal? The rear of the oil pan has 2 false compartments that are adjacent to the transmission. If it's leaking there, it could find it's way to the lowest spot as shown in your picture. If it's the rear main seal, it won't necessarily touch the clutch as it would be a very slow and small flow. The oil would follow the front lower wall of the tranny bell housing and find its way out that hole. It's not enough to splash onto the clutch but is enough to create a few drops on the floor.
Additionally, there are at least 2 bolts that hold the tranny to the engine oil pan. The oil could also be using that as a route of escape.
One way to see if it's coming out that hole..... Clean the whole area well so there's no oil evident. Use WD-40 as it will pick up the oil and then evaporate, leaving the area fairly dry. Get some compact gauze (one piece) and compress it to make a plug for that hole. Don't shove it in so far as to make it hit the rotating clutch assembly. Have some gauze sticking out and use some very sticky tape (eg, Gorilla Tape) to hold it in place and to prevent it from getting sucked into the bell housing. Drive it as usual and check it every day to see if the area around that hole is getting oily again. If it is, it's coming from outside the bell housing and probably not the rear main seal. If it stays dry for a couple days, remove the gauze and see how oily it is. You should have your answer then.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

it can leak from the rear main and not get to the clutch/flywheel.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the reply xviper! I'm pretty sure the oil pan has never been taken off but I am not the original owner of the car so its tough to say. I have cleaned the area dry before and left it overnight to see where the oil seems to be coming from. I have taken an additional picture to illustrate.

I've noticed the oil build up right where the transmission housing meets the oil pan as it seems to seep through the crack. However I will test as you mentioned xviper and I hope it is leaking from the outside so I don't have to take out the darn transmission. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Odd oil leak