S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

O2 Wideband Sensors

Old 07-26-2005, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=MINES13,Jul 27 2005, 06:20 AM] Ridiculous response.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:01 PM

Read his lips (or in this case, his note), MoTeC is the best! It's also the most expensive.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've heard a few people say the AEM UEGO isn't that great. I believe the issue is that the controller can't accurately maintain the correct heat and hence the response can waver from accurate. Not sure how true this is.

There is no doubt that Motec make good stuff, and they are the home team, but I just can't afford that sort of outlay ($1200??). And I'm sure there are other alternatives. Chris Barry is pretty keen on the Techedge stuff (also Aus) and many have used the PLX devices so Motec might be a bit extreme.

All that said, this thread is about the RDD. It is an OBDII display and won't accept an analogue A/R signal (wide or narrow) so the point is irrelevant. I'm afraid that if you want to log sensors including A/R then the RDD is not the solution regardless of choice of wideband.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jul 27 2005, 11:53 AM
All that said, this thread is about the RDD. It is an OBDII display and won't accept an analogue A/R signal (wide or narrow) so the point is irrelevant. I'm afraid that if you want to log sensors including A/R then the RDD is not the solution regardless of choice of wideband.
I think the information from king's website stated that it can accept a wideband signal.

The topic discription asked for the best O2 wideband sensor and motec is no doubt the best. It is the best in term of accuracy and reliability.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:55 PM

From my reading the RDD connects to the OBDII port and can display A/R if your OBDII contains A/R info. I assume USDM S2000s do, but it is narrowband. I highly doubt you can install a wideband and then have it's signal matted into the OBDII output.

the user can monitor..... O2 (Oxygen Sensor Voltage, vehicles factory equipped with wide band oxygen sensors will display A/F ratio)
As mentioned previously, you could install a wideband and use the 0-1V output so your ECU and OBDII thinks you have the stock O2 sensor but then the signal still isn't really wideband.

As such whether or not the Motec is the best there seems little point in arguing it.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The K20 and K24 engines (Accord, RSX, etc) use current pump "wideband" 02 sensors. If you have a RDD it will display the the AF ratio, as it is part of the OBDII datastream.

The stock 02 sensors on a S2k are narrow band units. The RDD will show 02 sensor voltage output, 0-1V approx. Which isn't going to tell you how rich or lean it really is.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:15 PM

The Innovate LM-1 and LC-1 wide band A/F controllers each have 2 completely user definable 0-5v outputs that are compatible with any stand-alone ECU, data logger or piggy back that has a 0-5v input (required to input a wideband AFR signal). The user can even define the sample rate (very important because no other device on the market samples anywhere near as fast as the LM-1 or LC-1). As for the "quality" of the Motec unit, which is honestly no better then any other completely analog wideband device. This is due to the fact that it will only be accurate for a brief period while the 02 sensor is still new. This is because like most wideband controllers it relies on the factory 02 sensor calibration which drifts over time and provides the user with innacurate readings. The LM-1 and LC-1 devices can be completely recalibrated using free air as a reference gas (20.9AFR which is an absolute value) Thusly staying accurate until complete sensor failure. There is simply no other device on the market with this capability, feel free to read up on the patent covering the digital control of the pump cell circuit utilized in the LM-1 and LC-1. Because of this fact, the LM-1 and LC-1 are the fastest, most accurate and most consistent wideband controllers on the market bar none. As for the AEM UEGO, it is basically worthless unless you are looking for a light show. Mounting the pump cell circuit in a hot engine bay is borderline retarded and will most assuredly provide you with inaccurate AFR readings simply because of the under hood temps (heat effects the devices heater pump cell circut control). Due to time constraints I will not go into all the advatages of the LM-1 and LC-1 which are so smart they even know when there is a problem with the sensor, *gasp*. No AFR data is better then bad AFR data which is what any all other devices on the market could potentially provide you with. Do your research before you spend your hard earned money.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:25 PM

yes there are ways around it, (using wideband in a car that didnt come with it).

actually i was thinking of designing a unit that would convert the wideband output to mimic a narrowband signal, this would in effect allow the ecu to use the wideband as if it were a narrow band, but at the same time the a/f ratio would be much more accurate.

ill post somthing about it if i find the time to start doing this project.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by tizbad2k,Jul 28 2005, 11:25 AM
actually i was thinking of designing a unit that would convert the wideband output to mimic a narrowband signal, this would in effect allow the ecu to use the wideband as if it were a narrow band, but at the same time the a/f ratio would be much more accurate.
You really should re-read the thread. Most of them already do this. They output a 0-1V narrowband signal to simulate the OEM sensor output.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:52 PM

the cost is pretty extravagant by my standards

I was thinking more along the lines of cheaper alternative,

Quick Reply: O2 Wideband Sensors