S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

NSX Conversion?

Old 11-12-2001, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NSX Conversion?

Hi folks -- I'm not looking for flames, just some serious discussion.

Has anyone thought of dropping a NSX engine in the S2K?

A couple preliminary thoughts:

1. the engine placement would have to be 'reversed/flipped' given that the NSX's stock engine placement.

2. the tranny would have to be reworked in terms of the overall driveshaft -- any actual gear work?

What do you guys think?
Old 11-12-2001, 02:47 AM

I think the main concerns to be addressed before undertaking this swap, is the volume of space available, trans issues, chassis strength etc. ...I think there's a saying that goes something like...when building HP, either determine how fast you want to go, how long you want it to last, and how much you want to spend, because often, they don't go hand in hand.

Either way, though, if you can pull it off, that'd be one sweet (and unique) s2k, but why mess with 50/50 weight distribution, once you've got it?

Plenty of things to consider....but good luck!
Old 11-12-2001, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Shamu

1. the engine placement would have to be 'reversed/flipped' given that the NSX's stock engine placement.
Size would be the main issue. I'm not sure of the width of the engine, but I'd bet that V6 is a LOT wider than the F20. Keep in mind the tilt of the engine has to be retained (so you don't run the sump dry). I also think it will be too long, the F20 was designed to be very short- timing chain (not a belt), water outlet integrated into the intake manifold, single accessory belt... they made it as short as possible so they could move it back as far as they could. The heighth, width, and length of the V6 might very well be impossible to fit under the hood or between the rad/firewall, let alone between the towers.

[B]
2. the tranny would have to be reworked in terms of the overall driveshaft -- any actual gear work?
/B]
Reworked? How about a custom one? Do you expect the V6 and F20 bell bolt patterns to be the same? The NSX transmission wouldn't work at all, being designed for transverse mounting. You'd have to stick with an S2k tranny as a foundation, with a new custom bell at a minimum. After all that, it still might not even work- we're assuming that the ass end of the V6 isn't moving in relation to the tranny, which I don't think is possible- that block is probably longer than the F20, even with a cylinder missing longitudinally.

If you have enough money and a big enough hammer, anything is possible.
Old 11-12-2001, 12:12 PM

Oh no -- I'm not planning to do this, at least not anytime soon!

I'm just considering the feasibility of it since we have a ton of serious engineers on the board!

Thanks for all your input and let's keep it coming!