S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Now What?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now What?

So, I was getting misfires on all four cylinders and a rough idle. I was hoping, thanks to advice from this site, that the issue was damaged valve retainers. Well, I just spent the day cracking open my first engine (it went way better than I thought it would. I don't think the valve cover has ever come off and everything looks brand new) and the valve retainers all looked perfect. I replaced them anyway and got everything buttoned back up. I proceeded to drive to the local autozone so I could clear the codes and was thinking the car was driving much better regardless of not really having done anything to it...I cleared the codes and now it won't idle. I imagine, as it did once before, once the computer runs through it's cycle and realizes there's an issue, it will at least be able to idle, if not smoothly, on it's own again.(way too many commas in that sentence.)

Anyway, if the valve retainers weren't causing the issue, are there any other ideas? I was told, when this all started, that I had low compression in cylinder one, but I can't confirm that. I will buy a compression tester this week. I've had two mechanics claim I have a burned valve...now I'm getting worried that they're right even though I have only 80k miles on the thing.

Oh yea, just a random thought...this car doesn't use oil at all. I've babied it since I've gotten it and I swear it's never burned a drop. Not sure if that would be at all relevant.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cracked retainer wouldn't cause a misfire, the car would run perfectly normal until it finally gave and dropped the valve. However a misfire COULD be caused by your valves being out of spec. I'm assuming that you adjusted the valve lash while you replaced the retainers. Checked your plugs?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Yep. They were perfectly in spec before and I made sure they were correct after I replaced the retainers. Plugs LOOK fine and the gap is fine, but I'm buying a new set this week just to be safe.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:33 PM

do a compression test
Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 PM

i would also check the valve adjustment
Old 07-16-2012, 04:09 PM

valve adjustment is right in spec.

Will do a compression check tomorrow if I can track down a tool that doesn't cost a fortune.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

double check all your work and sensor electrical connections?
Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 AM

Maybe a blown ignition coil. Don't take my word for it, it's just a guess.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AP1Theory
Maybe a blown ignition coil. Don't take my word for it, it's just a guess.
I would check this too. I blew my ap1 motor because of old ignition coils and yes all 4 were misfiring
Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Thanks again for all of the responses. I'm going to have to pull the head.

Seeing as how I've never done this before, when I have it resurfaced, what will I have to do to ensure timing is ok? Will they likely remove so little that it won't make a difference? Will a stock headgasket be fine?

Quick Reply: Now What?