S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Now I'm freaking out over oil

Old 06-06-2003, 11:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Now I'm freaking out over oil

What is the wold coming to...

I've been checking my oil weekly tracking the level on the dipsitck. At avout 1000 miles, the car took about 200ml of oil and seemed happy and the dipstick was about 1/2 an X from the top.

Over the next several weeks, the level dropped to -2 then -3 X's. So I decided to top off the oil again. I added 200ml and no change. finally I added a total of 800ml and checked it and the level was -1 X. let the engine run till it was warmed up. Then I let the car sit for a couple of minutes (as if I was checking it when refueling) and put in the dipstick for about 10 sec. Pulled out the stick and it was dry.

Waited a while more puzzling over the manual and pulled out the dipstick again and it was -1X.

So what am I doing wrong? How many ml does an "X" signify?
Old 06-07-2003, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the general consensus is that about a quart(~1 liter) of oil is needed to go from lowest to highest mark on the dipstick. So, dividing the # of "X" marks(5?) from 1 quart, each "X" is approximately equal to 1/5 quart or about 200ml.

Your initial reading may have been low because lot of oil may have still remained in the head or other parts of the engine. You should wait at least 5-10 minutes, if not longer, so that most of the oil will be in the pan.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by RedondoS2K
I think the general consensus is that about a quart(~1 liter) of oil is needed to go from lowest to highest mark on the dipstick. So, dividing the # of "X" marks(5?) from 1 quart, each "X" is approximately equal to 1/5 quart or about 200ml.

Your initial reading may have been low because lot of oil may have still remained in the head or other parts of the engine. You should wait at least 5-10 minutes, if not longer, so that most of the oil will be in the pan.
Got it. I'll check it in the morning. It'll have had a good amount of time to settle then. Any bets as to it being overfilled now?
Old 06-07-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you are checking on the passenger side of the stick, and being somewhat careful pulling it out. I notice that I had a far harder time reading the stick when I use a synthetic oil (it just seems so "un-viscous").. My mineral oil that I'm using now sticks to the stick just fine.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Although the book says to check the oil when at operating temps, I prefer to do it when it is cold before the first start of the day. Do the "hot" check a few times and compare it to what it looks like when cold, then just do it when cold as this is easier and more accurate to do quickly. If you have just added oil and check it soon after, even if you think you have warmed up the engine, you may not have warmed up the oil, causing it to "hang up" longer.
If you are going to check it "hot", turn off the engine and pull out the dipstick ASAP, wipe it and leave it out. Now go about fueling up (or do something else for 3-4 minutes). This will allow the oil to fall out of the area near the dipstick tube. Then put it in and check it.
Of course, have your car on a level surface. Checking the oil in this car isn't Rocket Science. It's just funny how some people tend to make it so.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]Checking the oil in this car isn't Rocket Science.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

rworne, I certainly didn't mean to trivialize oil level checking. You should be commended for your concern and dilegence. It is good to keep track of the oil level in this car as we all know. It's just that the actual checking of the oil can be made more complicated than it needs to be.
To answer your question, YES, the bottom of the dipstick goes right into the oilpan. It is the oilpan oil level that it reads, so if any oil is "hung up" for whatever reason, you will not show the correct reading. That's why I find it best to check the oil level first thing in the day as the oil has had all night to drain down. You don't have to wait like you would after the engine has been running. Checking after the car has been running can be too variable - difference in oil temp, difference in ground levelness, have I waited long enough?, etc.
I've found that the difference between hot and cold levels is only about 1.5 "X's" at the most. Also the difference between one side of the stick to the other is about 1 "X". I don't find it all that crucial to have the level right at the top all the time. In fact, when my car was still using a lot of oil, I would let it get to just below 1/2 on the measuring part of the stick, then put in about 1/2 a bottle of oil and the level would be at or just under "full". That was far easier than to "guess" how much 1 or 2 "X's" were.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]rworne, I certainly didn't mean to trivialize oil level checking.