S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Not starting everytime

Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starting everytime

Hey guys i need some advice.

I have a 2003 s2k that dosen't always start. It has 74k miles and not too many mods. I have an apexi grounding kit that seems to be hooked up right, an oddessy battery that's two years old. Electrically speaking I haven't done anything to it, the grounding kit came with it when I bought it.

So basically my issue is more often then not it starts. The times that it hasn't started, the accessory lights work, so does anything you need the electrical working for. Its just the car doesn't start. You can hear it trying to start, like the sound of current flowing but it dosesn't kick over. So then we bump start it.

The first time was about a year and a half ago and it was way early in the morning and cold. But over time its started to get worse. Now within the past week or so its happening alot more. and its hot or normal outside. Im reallllly getting tired now since yesterday I had to have my boyfriend and his room mate bump start me 3x. AND one by myself today. NOT FUN.

Can you guys help me figure out whats going on.
Ive been told maybe change relays?
Any other ideas I can tinker with?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:51 PM

Oh another thing.

We noticed that shaking things around like wiggling the shift knob would get something moving around and then it would start. That was pretty much my little cure till i get some money but now that's not even helping.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Recently I had a intermittent no start problem in my 2000 Accord. It was the relay. How did I test to find out it was the relay? When I turn the key to the ON position I hear a faint click. You have to turn off the radio and the blower fan and listen closely for it. When it wouldn't start (it'll crank..... but won't catch) this click was not present. When I finally hear this click it would start. I don't know if this is a conclusive test for the relay but in my case a new relay fixed the problem.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 AM

starter could be bad
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Thanks mister two. I'll check that out. The only thing is that click is present :/
Thanks domo ill check on that
Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 AM

Anyone else have any ideas??

Id like to try each one when I'm in there. So I don't have to deal with this again.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:10 PM

Did you figure out your startup issue? My newly purchased used S2000 is exhibiting the same issues. I have to slam my hand on the shifter in order to get it to start. Not sure why but it has seemed to work for my so far.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 AM

It's ignition relay next to where the key goes in
Old 06-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bab33face
Did you figure out your startup issue? My newly purchased used S2000 is exhibiting the same issues. I have to slam my hand on the shifter in order to get it to start. Not sure why but it has seemed to work for my so far.

I wouldn't slam my hand on the shifter to much, you could end up breaking some alot more expensive then a starter or a relay. By not starting do you mean the car is cranking but not turning on or just nothing is happening, is the car struggling to crank?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Competitor9
Originally Posted by bab33face' timestamp='1338343837' post='21738627

I wouldn't slam my hand on the shifter to much, you could end up breaking some alot more expensive then a starter or a relay. By not starting do you mean the car is cranking but not turning on or just nothing is happening, is the car struggling to crank?
Not cranking at all, it doesn't even attempt to crank, a few lights turn off for a second but that is it.

Quick Reply: Not starting everytime