S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Not a scientific study but amsoil was cleaner after diff fluid change

Old 08-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting. The last 3 seasons I was running Motul 300 at similar mileage and time intervals with similar sludge on the magnet, but this year I switched to Amsoil and will have put close to double the mileage and much harder driving (3 dragon trips and 2 track days, one autox)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
Interesting. The last 3 seasons I was running Motul 300 at similar mileage and time intervals with similar sludge on the magnet, but this year I switched to Amsoil and will have put close to double the mileage and much harder driving (3 dragon trips and 2 track days, one autox)
Post up your findings when you dump it. I've run Amsoil for two seasons and always had some paste on the magnet, a bit more than I would have liked. Switched to LE1605 SAE110 this season. With the grenaded engine I haven't put many miles on it, so she will have to go another season before I dump it. Indymac posted up some good results recently with this diff fluid.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1346256629' post='21973481
So many opinions and views on oils and stuff....makes it hard...

All I know is my car has been on Mobil1 10w30, since 600 miles when it was new. I am now at 118k.

I couldnt be happier with my power output, compression, lack of oil burning. The car feels faster every year. I offer anyone to go for a ride with me in my car at a meet you wouldnt believe how fast it is until you sit in it.
I`ve seen your Dragon videos, I don`t think I could stomach a ride in your car . I`ll just take your word that it is a great fluid.
Link to said videos?!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 PM

Vid link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PrlWx6Q1lg
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Time does nothing to dif fluid like it does engine oil, because there is no fuel dilution. Mileage is a primary key factor. How many miles? if its a few k miles, I would expect it to be clean.

I use Mobil1 75w90 in my car and ALL my customers.

Even at 40k miles on the fluid, the fluid come out like brand new. And I seriously mean brand new in appearance.

In addition, the magnet has virtually no trace of metal...not even a slight bit of grey paste. This is consistent car after car. This is my proof.

This has proven on hundreds of s2ks with all different setups, including mine (and you guys now how i drive mine) dragon, drifitng, autox, track, and it still comes out like brand new.

Say what you will about Amsoil. I'm sure it's great.

Everyone can take this to the bank...Mobil1 to me has been the ultimate fluid and I wouldn't even think of trying another with the amount of time I've spent with Mobil1.

Use Mobil1 75w90 with 100% confidence.
thats interesting. would it make a difference if the car was boosted? still go with mobil1 75w90? and what about in the tranny? what mtf do you recommend? be interested to know all the fluids you recommend lol (oil as well)
Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

One of the things I like about my S2000 is how it powers out of corners.
This is IMO mostly due to the Torsen diff that will distribute power nicely between wheels rotating at different speeds while having equal grip.
To do this, the Torsen needs good oil with an adequate EP rating.
I've noticed what feels like a FWD oversteer reaction during cornering when the diff oil is on its way out.
Fresh oil fixed this straight away.

If I would pay someone to change my diff oil and the receipt would say Any Brand SAE 75W-90 I would show them the manual and point out the recommended SAE 90.
Reactions like "Oh yeah but this is just the same and I use it all the time" I would not accept, because it isnt.

A direct minimum replacement for the OEM recommended - but hard to find - SAE 90 GL-5/6 is SAE 75W-110.
75W-140 is also a good choice as is LE-1605 SAE 110.

Originally Posted by Billman250
In addition, the magnet has virtually no trace of metal...not even a slight bit of grey paste. This is consistent car after car. This is my proof.
Use Mobil1 75w90 with 100% confidence.
Does this proof include the Torsen side washer "ears" you have reported to find on the magnet more than once?
I mean, if parts fail something is wrong, no?
In your case, with the amount of cars you service, you could easily get enough discount anywhere - even at Amsoil - to offer 75W-110 or 75W-110 diff oil at the sae price as Mobil1 oils to your customers.
And you would IMO provide an even better service doing so.

With respect
Old 09-29-2012, 03:43 PM

SpitfireS and I seem to be the only persons who report a differnce in diff. performance with higher viscosity fluids, I agree that the operation of the LSD is affected by viscosity. I'm not saying that translates into lower wear though, but the operation of the LSD seems more predictable and stable when accelerating through corners with higher viscosity fluids.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

SpitfireS and I seem to be the only persons who report a differnce in diff. performance with higher viscosity fluids...
OMG: a spelling error!
(Do I have to point it out?)
English ins't your first language...?

Anyway..
I'm sure many people notice it but they just do not realize it is not supposed to be like this.
Its a good excuse to upgrade suspension, wheels, tires, add x-braces and whatnot.
While all they need is better diff oil.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1348962222' post='22046938
SpitfireS and I seem to be the only persons who report a differnce in diff. performance with higher viscosity fluids...
OMG: a spelling error!
(Do I have to point it out?)
English ins't your first language...?

Anyway..
I'm sure many people notice it but they just do not realize it is not supposed to be like this.
Its a good excuse to upgrade suspension, wheels, tires, add x-braces and whatnot.
While all they need is better diff oil.

Hey I was the person defending you remember FWIW the first words I spoke were Italian, so I deserve a break too. But on a serious note I've reacehd the age where I require reading glasses so I tend to make spelling mistakes without seeing them, lol. It's just a car forum, not my work. bleh. I still agree with you on the viscosity issue.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SpitfireS and I seem to be the only persons who report a differnce in diff. performance with higher viscosity fluids, I agree that the operation of the LSD is affected by viscosity. I'm not saying that translates into lower wear though, but the operation of the LSD seems more predictable and stable when accelerating through corners with higher viscosity fluids.
I wish I could comment, but I've been using the same oil for so long I don't remember if there was a difference from the factory fill.

Quick Reply: Not a scientific study but amsoil was cleaner after diff fluid change