S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

To nos or not to nos??

Old 10-19-2002, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but here is a tip genius, if you post in a public forum you are bound to find people with opinions. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
Your right the post is to nos or not to nos......But your the one who came flying in here breaking the sound barrier....Opinions are good but post wisely. IF NOS is cheating then so is s/c...turbo...
High octane gas.....but your right opinions are like assholes!

Ok yes you can hide a nitrous tank in the spare tire compartment...they make lots of sizes ..a ten pound bottle might fit....five pounds definetly....they also have 2.5 lbs....and little baby ones at 10 oz. That you coud hide under your dash board if ya wanted to. I have mine out in the clear in the trunk. G
Old 10-19-2002, 02:29 PM

In Charlotte, the majority of the people (that I know and roll with) frown upon it. At the majority of the races (street) the people running nitrous get shunned.
The majority of people frown on it in this board to. I know behind my back people say ...yeah just wait til he blows his engine....or cheater. i've heard them from a distance or when they though i could not hear them.. "F" them a majority of people have no clue how to drive
....That was proven to me at the fall colors auto-x.....

It is a fact if you install nitrous some people are going to look down on you and your car....put other people are going to think its the coolest thing. ...Good point chris...if ya do install this be prepared to be talked about and looked down upon in the n/a crowd. But "F" them they can talk about me all they want as I murder
them at each and every stop light.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Calm down ItalianBucwheat...it's not worth it.

I love your set up..post more pics and helpful nitro info if you can please.

Love to have that "Nitro boost" feeling. I am still tempting to get one. How does it feel with the boost?

Over in Australia, it's illegal to install one for street use. It only legal for drag use. The ideal set up for us would be the stealth installation. What is the max size bottel one can squeeze into the spare wheel compartment? How many fun shot can you use with that?

Keep up the fun factor ItalianBucwheat.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

hey, ItalianBucwheat.

Thanks for the information. That was a great post about Nitros. When you get chance, I'd love to go to 1/4 mile track with you to see that tank on the action.

BTW, I was quite suprised during FC02 because that was the first time I saw nitros tank.

cheers,
pl
Old 10-19-2002, 07:21 PM

how do u gutt a cattilitic converter??
Old 10-19-2002, 10:20 PM

The way I gutted my catalitic was with a drill, a hammer, a long screwdriver, and plenty of time. First you drill holes through the honeycomb. Then after you can't drill anymore place the long screwdriver between each hole and hammer. After a while it will begin to come out. Finally you put the long screwdriver in the edges and pry the surrounding metal off.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:34 AM

hey guys, how long does your nos S2000 takes to get from 0 to 60mph?
How does it feels and how did you guys drive the cars?
Please tell us (stock S2000), I am dying to know!!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by derryck
Any type of forced induction (which includes nitrous) adds a certain level of uncertainty (or danger) to the life of your car. A wet system adds fuel and nitrous where a dry system just adds nitrous. A dry system is not as safe because it is not as controlled but squirting a 50 shot into your intake will probably not cause alot of damage. Think about it... you're dumping a rather small amount of nitrous oxide into a rather turbulent air stream. You're not going to get any huge power gains but probably not doing much damage either. The best way to go if you want to use nitrous oxide is to go direct port. This will drill a hole into each intake runner and inject fuel and nitrous... this is the safest way to run nitrous because it is the most controlled. You would definitely want to upgrade the fuel pump for a direct port set up... not sure about it's capacity for another set up. Don't worry about a stand alone system... no need for your purposes.

This is so true, there are dangers with any modification and or tuning without proper knowledge and or setup.

Also consider: turbo or sc. Turbo and SC both add a constant wear and tear on the F20C *constantly* because of continuous boost, I would definitely go with a NOS dry / wet setup opposed to FI TB or SC for the reasons.

1. Look at the DD to WOT driving ratio: your engine runs normally in DD ~90% of the time, the other 10% is when you need the WOT in a drag situation or simply need maximum power. When 90% of the DD is used, your engine does not CONSTANTLY see the same wear and tear (as FI) because its still operating in NA mode, while TB and SC powerplants CONSTANTLY apply FI (even moderate boost) to the engine.. 100% of the time. To sum it up, the NOS + NA system gives you the RAW power, driving the engine to high output 10% of the time, whereas the FI SC/TB is forcing the F20C Unit to operate outside of its native operating 100% of the time, especially in SC applications. This simply means: NOS + NA setup wear and tear is around 10% of the FI wear and tear.

GOOD and BAD of FI (TB/SC)
-requires high quality install
-Shorter oil change intervals
-More expensive equipment requires more maintenance and operating costs.
-Engine acoustics does not sound nice as NA anymore
-DD increases with continous FI
-Turbo Lag

Good and BAD of NOS + NA
-Requires high quality install
-DD does not create additional wear and tear
-zero Boost lag, instantaneous
-engine sounds 2-3x more aggressive
-Engine acoustics & power output is similiar to an equivalent F20c to having 13:1 CR, Stage 2 Cams and Standalone.
-Existing fuel pump is adequate to yield safe 50dry shot setup.
-Requires a professional install, quite delicate
-Requires proper jet size for dry and ensure the AF ratio (while NOS) does not exceed 13.9
-The engine roar will sound MUCH louder, and its WAYY cooler

4. cost of NOS + NA is a fraction of FI (TB/SC)

Heres something to consider when selecting a NOS + NA configuration:
-The F20c/F22C fuel pump has capability to deliver enough fuel for a dry system (recommended 50 shot)
-Tuning to a 13.9 AF ratio (including nos) will deliver the ideal power output
-The existing AF ration while F20c/f22c engine runs above VTEC is simply rich, better to make it less-rich AF, not lean.
-Less rich will yield greater power output.

Essentially how one tunes their own car is entirely up to them, there is not one better than the other, it's what one is trying to achieve.

5. WET NOS + NA

-Big power gains
-Requires fuel injector upgrade
-Recommended a high LPH fuel pump
-specific tuning required
-Cam timing requires 1-2 degree change (reduces fuel economy, increases power)
-Colder plugs
-Sounds a hell of a lot nicer
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Power is Power and Forced induction is Forced Induction turbos and superchargers are cool but nitrous is bad both are forms of forced induction. So if you frown on one you must frown on the other imo. Or just stay NA.

Kinda funny it is what it is. So I would say knowlege is power.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 PM

good job bumping an 11 year old thread

Quick Reply: To nos or not to nos??