S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

To nos or not to nos??

Old 10-14-2002, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To nos or not to nos??

ok i am verry confused which is safer a wet system or a dry. also what do u need to make it a wet system someone was tellin me that u need to upgrade your fuel system. if so what do i need to upgrade. and what is a standalone fuel system?? i was just goin to get a 50shot dry but everyone keeps tellin me that its dangerous
Old 10-14-2002, 11:32 AM

Any type of forced induction (which includes nitrous) adds a certain level of uncertainty (or danger) to the life of your car. A wet system adds fuel and nitrous where a dry system just adds nitrous. A dry system is not as safe because it is not as controlled but squirting a 50 shot into your intake will probably not cause alot of damage. Think about it... you're dumping a rather small amount of nitrous oxide into a rather turbulent air stream. You're not going to get any huge power gains but probably not doing much damage either. The best way to go if you want to use nitrous oxide is to go direct port. This will drill a hole into each intake runner and inject fuel and nitrous... this is the safest way to run nitrous because it is the most controlled. You would definitely want to upgrade the fuel pump for a direct port set up... not sure about it's capacity for another set up. Don't worry about a stand alone system... no need for your purposes.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two of my friends that have S2000's, one with a comptech supercharger and the other with a 70 shot of nitrous {dry}, raced from a dead start...the supercharged S2000 had also comptech headers also, the nitrous just had a cold air intake and a test pipe. But both of them with sotck suspension and stock wheels, The nitrous S2000 blew the supercharged S2000 by almost 2 cars... I want to go either nitrous or turbo. But a turbo is to much money, so i think i will be getting a wet system, but i want to buy another intake manifold so that i can really play around with the intake manifold.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 50 shot nitrous system should be fine. NOS says about a 60 shot for 4 cyl. engines is OK. I could see the difference between the 70 shot and the Comptech. That is fully believable. When you have nitrous it is pretty much available from 3000 rpm on (depending on how you set the injection parameter). The supercharger takes some horsepower to make a lot more horsepower. If you look at the hp & Torque curves of the Comptech, most power is made around 5500 & up. On Turbo S2000 boost ramps up at around 3500. Hence, Vortech SC & turbos making approximately the same hp but one runs around a 12.9-13.0 and the other runs in the 12.6's. Nitrous does put more stress on an already high compression engine, and it really messes with your emissions. Also, constantly filling the bottle can be a pain.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:40 PM

thanks for the imput. ive been reading up on the vortech supercharger and im thinkin bout getting one. which do u think is safer a supercharger or a nitrous system. and should i get a comptech or vortech what are some pros and cons on them
Old 10-14-2002, 05:30 PM

I have had 3 cars w/ the same NOS kit on all of them. The first was a 97 Accord SE automatic;this car went from running 11.70 in the 1/8th to 9.70 another was a 98 Prelude it went from running 11.20 to consistent 9.20 et in the 1/8 of mile. The point I'm trying to make is that NOS is best bang for buck performance. This was a dry kit with a 38 jet in it. I'm afraid to put it on my S cause I dont have a fuel pressure cut off switch. Oh yea I dont know what shot it was I was running but the jet was 038 GOOD LUCK
Old 10-14-2002, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok First I have Nx Express stage one wet system on my 2002
s2000. It is connected to my aem cold air intake with the shark nozzel. The nozzel mixes the the fuel and nitrous. I am running a 75 shot. First it is awesome.....Just amazing.

Ok Know the lecture....Before any of you go and bolt on this system do your home work. The true cost of a Nitrous system is about twice the cost of the original kit. The kit cost around( 500 dollars.....475 to your door if ya shop around). Parts ya need that are not included are fuel safty switch(turns of system if fuel pressure gets to low cost about ($50 dollars). A pressure guage is a must have either at the botttle ($50 dollars ) or remote gaudge at the dash(65 dollars plus 25 for the hook up kit)
A bottle heater is a must have to keep the tank at correct pressure. ($150 if ya shop around) The arming switch is garbage that they suppy i suggest a switch with a cover($25 dollars) The fuel "t" They provide with the kit does not work with the s2000 ya must buy some fittings to make a fuel "t"
which is weRE ya cut the existing fuel line i bought goodrich? fitting nice anodizied blue($ 16 dollars for all three parts that make the fitting. ) They provide a w.o.t. switch i have this installed and also have a mosmo momentum switch the button like ya see in the movies ($ 30 dollars). I can use either depending on how i wire the car. W.o.t. switch for drag strip
straight line runs.....Momentum switch (button)works better for street . I use zex nitrous/turbo plugs ($25)ya can't use platnium plugs....and if ya use copper go one step colder
than stock. I use Modifry's redline shift module to control rpm activation ($65 dollars) Modifry is a s2ki memeber and the module does alot more than nitrous rpm stuff....Great product.

above is the stuff ya need our you are playing with danger.

Nice stuff ya don't need but helps is a purge ($175 dollars) purges nitrous gas build up for a clean hard hitting shot of nitrous when needed. An auto bottle opener and closer from the cockpit
($185 dollars) You can leave the tank open for an hour or so
but ya get some leakage and its harder to maintain a constant pressure.

Read up all ya can ...Nitrous is safe if used proberly.....But know your air fuel ratios ...Whats safe...whats not....Nx express uses
11.5 or richer for all its cars. Oh did i mention the install it is not that hard but if you are clueless on wiring or fuel lines then get a pro to do it. I did it myself i was slow and very methodical...working 2 or three hours at a time....no need to rush lay-out the system do dry tests the entire install done slowly and carefully is an 8 to 10 hour job for your first time.
Helms manual helps for correct fuel line to cut. The feed not the return. Learn...its all on the web....lots of nitrous artivcles and forums.

Direct in the manifold is considered the safest for most cars....but it puts gops or torque on a weak differential all at once......maybe not the best for the s2000 ....100 hp tops on direct port.....75hp tops on wet airintake shot...50 hp tops on dry airintake shot.

Be careful read....ask questions...and then ask more questions i researched for 6 months before i did mine.

But one thing for sure you press that button and mr. hyde comes out to play and dam is he fun....I back down to no one
vette, porsche, ls-1.....Bring them on....i might lose to modded ones but just barely....I hunt ever night....stalking ...waiting...
They take the bait i am waiting at 40 mph to a down shift from 3 to 2 and then the button.....up to 8500 rpm relase button keep it floored to red line.....shift to third push the button til 8500 then release and floored to redline.....dam hear come 100 mph....dam that was quick.......Dam I am one of the big boys now!

"CHANGS AIN'T GOT NOTHING ON ME"

Oh by the way in NEw JErsey "the Garden State"...lol...Ya have to have a permit it is free but takes three weeks to get it....ya get the form at a speed shop where you would get your tank filled. Ya get two copies one for the shop one for the car. Nitrous by me is $3.75 a pound ten pound bottle about 40 bucks with tax. If ya use the button your take will last a long time.....20 races maybe 25 depends on how much ya spray.if ya use the w.o.t. switch you will have about 15 quarter mile runs.

Agian please ask me all the questions ya want please read and be very informed pefor thi mod ...its a great mod but ya must know the facts.........or BOOM!
Old 10-14-2002, 07:33 PM

ItalianBucwheat...you are teh man!!!
Picsss pleassssssssssssse

hhhmmmm...I am lazy also..no really I can add ....but how much did the whole unit cost ya?
Old 10-15-2002, 04:58 AM

what's up italian,
glad to hear that it all worked out well for you. did you get your car to the dyno yet?
Old 10-15-2002, 07:30 AM

well i dont know much about the fuel sys. and i dont know any trust worthy shops in feyettville NC. so u dont need to upgrade your injectors for nitrous? do u prefer nos or nx express. i have denso iridum plugs would they work? and again which do you think is less harmful to your engine nitrous or a supercharger cuz i cant make up my mind. thanks alot for all the info

Quick Reply: To nos or not to nos??