S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

nos- how does it work

Old 07-16-2001, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nos- how does it work

excuse my ignorance, but i have not had any real dealings with nitrous oxide, so can anyone explain nos (the brand) and how it works, the costs, pitfalls and benefits, website, what 75, 80, 100 shot means.
on a sidenote, i disconnected my headlight washer by pulling the fuse out and want to get a little nos sticker to stick on it and have a ricey NOS button, similar to the red hazard button that one of u guys had hooked up to their car. yeah i know its ricey but it will look cool i can push it and pretend i am hitting the power surge that nos gives me (wow my little fantasy land sucks)
i of course have no intention of installing nos cause i respectthe car too much, just want to educate my self on this interesting phenomenon
Old 07-16-2001, 06:29 AM

Nitrous Oxide has been around for years, and is commonly viewed as a way to make "cheap" horsepower. NOS is actually a nitrous company (Nitrous Oxide Systems) that develops complete kits for various cars. Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, is a molecule containing 2 atoms of nitrogen and 1 atom of oxygen. When nitrous oxide is introduced to an engine, combustion temperatures cause the molecule to break apart, and the oxygen rushes into the combustion chamber, mixing with fuel and creating more power. There are generally 2 types of systems; wet and dry nitrous. Wet systems mix the nitrous oxide with fuel before it enters the cylinders. Dry types inject the nitrous into the intake manifold using 1 or more nozzles. Read more about the benefits and hazards of nitrous oxide at http://www.howstuffworks.com/question259.htm
Old 07-16-2001, 06:30 AM

Nitrous Oxide "in general" is an oxidizer. In outher words, it is a chemical that caries loosly bonded oxygen molecules that react easily (burn) when exposed to a chemical reaction requiring oxygen (like burning fuel).

How's that...
Old 07-16-2001, 10:29 AM

Basically the same idea as turbo/supercharger. Increase you oxygen and you increase the CR. More CR, more hp.

Just to elaborate on the wet/dry thing...wet systems add fuel to the nos before it's injected as said before. Dry adds it before your MAF and relies on your MAF to detect the increased oxygen and add fuel through the stock injectors.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shizon'00
[B]Basically the same idea as turbo/supercharger.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:58 AM

I know the MAF measures NOS injection. Anyone know how if it's not by oxygen volume? Maybe temperature of air would cause an increase in fuel by the PCM.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:49 PM

Tanqueray- Actually normal air is 21% oxygen by volume, 23% by mass. And yeah, nirous is of course 33% oxygen content by volume, which is only released at temperatures above 572 F.

shizon'00- Standard hot wire MAF sensors can account for 3 variables concerning mass flow...

-density
-humidity
-temperature

They do this by measuring the voltage required to maintain a wire in the air stream to a specific temp, all of the previous variables will affect this to a predicatable amount. One thing this sensor cannot account for is oxygen content, oxygen has the same effect on wire temps as any other gas at a given temperature.

Ps- Not that any of that really matters, since MAF sensors are not used on Honda cars. They use the speed density system to supply the ECU with necessary airflow quantity and quality data.
Old 07-16-2001, 04:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by texan
[B]Tanqueray-
Old 07-16-2001, 07:36 PM

yeah!! go science! See, people do not believe me when I say that science is all that matters.
Old 07-25-2001, 07:20 AM
Rex

If you are just using the nitrous for its oxygen, why not use straight bottled oxygen? Is the cooling from the evaporation of nitrogen that significant?

Quick Reply: nos- how does it work