S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

normal oil consumption

Old 03-16-2014, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by golfman
Originally Posted by 08S2000' timestamp='1394957276' post='23064934
Originally Posted by Saki GT
AP1 F20s will burn about a quart every 1,000 mi of normal driving and people will check oil levels after a day of hard driving. They burn oil, so it's normal. Many AP1 owners keep extra oil in the trunk.

F22s don't burn oil due to the revisions Honda made. As well, I believe these same revisions were adopted by 2004+ F20 engines (Europe, Japan) so they wouldn't burn oil any more.

As far as oils go, Mobil1 does not seem to do well in our engines.

And OP, you should try shifting around 4-5k and your OCI are way too frequent IMO. Get a Blackstone UOA and you will see you are wasting money on overly frequent oil changes.
If you don't mind explaining what were the revisons Honda made in 2004? It sounded like it was not just f20 to f22.

I think from what I read Honda used a different process in honing the cylinders
^correct. Do a quick search plenty of info.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
As far as oils go, Mobil1 does not seem to do well in our engines.
Damn I've always used M-1 in my cars. I wonder if this is why I'm burning about .5 of a quart between every oil change.

Think it's time to switch over to Amsoil.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 with 96K miles will use about 1/4 qt between changes (5k).Most of my driving is interstate at limit +5.

I use Amsoil 0w30.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 03-16-2014, 06:06 AM

Received 444 Likes on 367 Posts

Every time I do an oil change, right afterwards, I get oil smoke out of the tail pipe. It happens only once, I can afterwards idle for an hour, take hard right turns hammer it do whatever and nothing. I have an AP1 with 124k miles, and I burn about a quart every 1,500 miles. I use Castrol Edge Full synthetic 10w-30 because that's what the car has ran for most of it's life.

I'm the 4th owner, the second owner acquired it at 28,000 miles and drove it to about 104,000, then it got sold to some shady ass lint that drove it for about a year and 7,000 miles. In that time he ruined the clutch, destroyed a rear diff mount, and the rear wheel bearings, sold the oem seats and installed some cheap replicas with the driver's seat rail only bolting to three of the seating points. I have since corrected all these flaws and then some, but I'm stumped as to what's causing that puff of smoke after an oil change.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 AM

mobil 1 and synthetics in AP1's in general just don't do well...they burn very quick and ive tried a lot...Ive ran Castrol GTX 10w30 regular dino oil for the past 3 years and my car doesn't burn a drop
Old 03-16-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

About 1/4qt in 7k miles and 130 autox runs. My04 97k miles with motul 5w30
Old 03-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Every time I do an oil change, right afterwards, I get oil smoke out of the tail pipe. It happens only once, I can afterwards idle for an hour, take hard right turns hammer it do whatever and nothing. I have an AP1 with 124k miles, and I burn about a quart every 1,500 miles. I use Castrol Edge Full synthetic 10w-30 because that's what the car has ran for most of it's life. I'm the 4th owner, the second owner acquired it at 28,000 miles and drove it to about 104,000, then it got sold to some shady ass lint that drove it for about a year and 7,000 miles. In that time he ruined the clutch, destroyed a rear diff mount, and the rear wheel bearings, sold the oem seats and installed some cheap replicas with the driver's seat rail only bolting to three of the seating points. I have since corrected all these flaws and then some, but I'm stumped as to what's causing that puff of smoke after an oil change.
If your only blowing smoke after leaving the car shut off for a while then I would look at the valves and valve seals, if they are leaking what happens is when the car is shut off it drips oil into the cylinders thus why when you start it up after some time it blows smoke
Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 PM

I turn the engine on in the mornings and nothing, it's pure and clear toxic fumes from my cat-less exhaust. Again it only happens right after I do an oil change, otherwise there's nothing. I know the symptoms for bad valve seals, and this isn't it. I go to West Palm Beach International raceway for HPDEs all the time with friends, and they don't see anything but the odd white puff the first time I hit VTEC. I can sit with the car idling for 30 min and rev the engine and nothing.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 PM

I was about to start a new thread until I saw this one so I might as well ask it here.

I have a MY03 for two years now with only 47k miles. The last time I did an oil change was at the end of summer last year but I've only driven about 3500 miles since then. I vaguely remember I had the oil level almost near the top of the H mark when I changed it. I checked it yesterday and today and the oil level is hovering below the L mark. I did both a cold and hot check multiple times to see if it was a fluke but alas, my oil level really is dangerously low. This is very strange because in the two years that I have owned it, I've changed the oil at the same 3-4000 mile interval and I never lost any oil before so I am surprised it's like this now. I checked the whole engine area and oil case and there was no sign of leak.

But I haven't noticed anything odd about my car though. No smoke, no roughness, no oil check light, no strange noise, nothing. And I can still VTEC.I even went spirited driving recently and nothing was off (except my driving skills). So I guess my engine is still safe? Of course, I have since poured in some oil and I am gonna change the oil later today. Close call. I have to apologize to my car for the neglect.

So my question is... is it normal for the car to start consuming oil even when it haven't before in the past? Also, how much oil do you think I have in the tank when it is right below the L? Or do you think I have some other problems in my car that is causing this oil loss?

Someone please enlighten me. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:23 PM

AP1's burn oil, more so if they just sit for years on end as seals can dry and crack, but if your car isn't leaking I don't know what it could be. At 47k miles the engine isn't usually worn to the point that the cylinders become oval shaped which is what I think contributes to the AP1 oil burning.

Quick Reply: normal oil consumption