S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Non-Forced Induction Method - Make Sense?

Old 07-27-2001, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching threads about air induction on the site and have seen the heat shields, air box mods, air scoops, etc., etc. Out of everything I've seen (I am a lay-person), this makes more sense to me than anything else.

Temperature readings and other information is available at: http://www.hondas2000accessories.com/coldair.htm

If anyone has any opinions, I have the following concerns:

1) Does this low of an intake introduce too much moisture on wet days.
2) Would the air be reheated flowing through these side tubes?

I've asked the manufacturer for HP gain results from the system. Conceptually, I think it make sense and makes use of those worthless blocked intake areas on the front bumper.

I do not like the grill look; however, in the intake slots, they're fairly well concealed and I'm sure that there could be another option.

Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Old 07-27-2001, 06:55 AM

You could build something homemade for much cheaper, that would work better. This system does nothing but route air to the front of the condensor/radiator. Hmmm, isn't that why we already have a big mouth in the front of the car?

On the flip side, what does make sense is routing air from the front of the car up to the airbox. For a N/A setup you can build your own, or go with something like Mingster's CAI:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=21803

I used leftover parts from my CAI that I had before the supercharger was installed to route cool air to my air box:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...9&highlight=cai

I currently have the mesh grill on the front of my car, and I'm going to try to integrate the scoop with the grill to get a better air flow. Currently the scoop is hidden behind the grill. I don't think it will make a huge difference, I'm just tinkering.

Wesmaster
Old 07-27-2001, 07:08 AM

I just ordered a new CAI duct, because I decided the NACA styled duct won't look as clean as a square one:

This was only $21. A 10' by 3" hosing costs $40. So, you can build your own for cheap.

Wesmaster
Old 07-27-2001, 07:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]I just ordered a new CAI duct, because I decided the NACA styled duct won't look as clean as a square one:

This was only $21.
Old 07-27-2001, 07:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember a thread a short time ago where pressure readings were taken at various places at the front of the car. It was determined that the highest pressure point was dead center of the grill opening and a few inches to each side. The area around and at the fake ducts was a much lower pressure area and required substantially higher forward speeds to trip the pressure switch. By opening these up into the area to the sides of the rad frontal space, would the high frontal pressure not be less effective? Doesn't pressure go from high to low? So some of the "good" high pressure from the front might now be channelled to the "new" openings and simply equalize or overpower these. As for water and such going into the "new" ducts, it's no worse than what would come in through the front grill opening. It all ends up into the same space. I think that these new duct openings could be channelled to a much better place and be used for a much better purpose. Perhaps for brake cooling and for direct connection to the underside of the airbox but then, for this kind of expenditure of money and effort, Mingster's CAI pipe might be a better "mouse trap" (at least if you're going to spend the money anyway).
Old 07-27-2001, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by Jeff
Wes where did you find the duct? OOPS
Start here: http://www.pitstopusa.com/DUCTANDHOSE.htm

Wesmaster