S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Noisy and vibration after exceeding 60+mph

Old 05-18-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy and vibration after exceeding 60+mph

Today as i took the s2000 out on the highway today as i was going 60+ the car felt sputtery sounded noisy and rough vibration. feels boggy. Nothing seems to be loose. feels and sounds like im running over them tties bumps what do you guys think?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM

any help would be appreciated
Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't speed.

Problem solved.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 PM

maybe the map sensor?? since its when you hit 60 sounds like it has more to do with the volume of air entering the engine and the engine not knowing what to do with it or something... just a guess
Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM

I'm just throwing this out there but a couple of years ago I had an '03 Cobra that would vibrate like crazy from 60ish on. The problems with those cars are normally either the driveshaft throwing a weight and being out of balance or a rear end problem like the pinion angle being out of whack.... does it seem like an engine issue or somewhere else?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:14 PM

Have you hit a pot hole or anything as such lately?

What you describe could be a tire issue as well.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 PM

hmm i hope it has nothing to do with the drive shaft/rear end or nothing like that...How can i tell if the driveshaft is off balanced? It doesn't seem like it would be an engine issues because car runs fine but then again the spark plugs looks bad. I'm going to change them out and see if that maybe the problem.... and as for hitting pot holes and stuff i haven't really hit any pot holes im more aware of that stuff lol... could be tire issues... The day before any of this occur the car was running good...Next day woke up in the morning checked all tires, 2 tires' were a little low so i air'ed it up to 35psi all around then got on highway and bam thats when it all happend... Maybe too much air in tire?
Old 05-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Where do you feel the vibrations? In the steering wheel? In your seat? Does it go away once you get going a certain speed? Does it get worse with speed? Need more details. I had bad vibrations at 60+ mph and it was bad tire wear and also a couple of the wheel balancing weights came off throwing them out of balance. Vibrated like crazy. This car is really sensitive when it comes to these things. Could also be a pitted axle boot or something. I know those cause shaking from the rear of the car. But hard to say without more details.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:55 AM

I feel the vibrations coming from the rear. Steering wheel is fine. Yes it does go away when i hit a certain speed. As i mention it starts to happend as i get to 60+mph then the shake and bake mobile goes on. 0-50mph is fine. As i accelerate faster it gets worse as in heavy vibrations and much louder. I was kind of scared about it so i didn't drive it pass 60mph. Casually every month i would check tire pressure and air them up if needed to and would never have a problem with it until that day. What is your tire pressure set at? The things you mentions sounds exactly of what the problem is. I guess i'm going to get the wheels checked out and maybe balance them if needed. thanks hopefully that is the problem
Old 05-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have tire pressure set at 31 psi.
If it goes away again at like 80 or so mph then it is most likely a harmonic issue, like a wheel out of balance and or tire problems. Can still stay on and be one of those issues as well however. Not a big issue like driveshaft or something. Is it effected when you hit the gas or only speed related? If it is effected by pressing the gas peddle than it is more likely something like the axles or driveshaft.
Is there uneven wear on your rear tires? That can cause vibrations as well. Have anyone locally you can try swapping tires and wheels with? See if the vibrations go away. Feel it from one side more than the other possibly?

Quick Reply: Noisy and vibration after exceeding 60+mph