S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

noisy injectors

Old 03-18-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default noisy injectors

Has anyone had noisy injectors? I have a faint ticking and whoosing noise, eliminated that the noise is the timing chaing tensioner.

What did your injector noise sounded like?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a similiar noise that was driving me crazy for a long time. Sort of a faint ticking nose that increased with RPMs above 3000 RPM. I've had a bunch of owners and two dealers listen to it now and they've concluded its normal valve noise for an s2k/honda motor. They ruled out the timing chain auto-tensioner on mine as well. Compared it to bad auto-chain noises. If you are like me and are not used to Honda motors, perhaps this is what your hearing. I hear it best when it echos off of a building or another car (or anything on the side of the car while driving for that matter).
Old 03-18-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

injector noise is normal, and will obviously increase in frequency with rpms. Some might confuse it with unwanted valve/lifter noise from other cars. It should be coming from beneath the black plastic cover on the right side of the valve cover. I would describe it as a ticking.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Have you compared the sounds your car makes with another one?
Old 03-18-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Mar 18 2006, 05:29 PM
Have you compared the sounds your car makes with another one?
Slow, I was the one who made the diagnosis for Former in my garage with a stethoscope. My best guess was the injector. All of them tick, but #4 was a lot louder than the other 3, which were all pretty much equal. #4 was definately different. My only suggestion was to implement an injector clean starting with the cheap route (gas tank stuff) and go from there once a little time has past. I don't believe the noise is of a dangerous nature, so I don't believe time will be an enemy here.
ps. A quick check of the valve area with the stethoscope indicated all the usually valve ticking were uniform and not abnormal, as was the timing chain tensioner, which I listened to before and after a new replacement was install.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the dealer listen the injectors and they said there wasn't any different. I'll drive it for a little more before doing an injector replacement.

They couldn't think of any other reason to why there was a noise although they realize that the faint tick was there.

Oh, I am very familar with how the F20C should sound, been driving it for 4 years now. I just had a recent short block and some head work done. Sooner or later I will get this noise taken care off and wouldn't settle for "this is normal" from dealers telling me it is normal because it isn't.
The following users liked this post:
MugenK20 (03-19-2022)
Old 03-18-2006, 06:04 PM

Try using a piece of hose instead of a stethoscope. Hold one end to your ear and move the other end around near the injectors, cam cover, the side of the engine block, etc. to local the origin of the sound.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:46 PM

I really drive myself nuts with this as well. My "faint ticking" noise is always there, and is very fast. Like a fast tapping, faster than I could ever do with my finger. I've been told by several people now (2 dealers and a bunch of owners) that this is just how honda valve-trains sound.

It sounds like we are in the same boat, we both hear this sound and people want us to believe its normal. I really hope mine is, I just don't know. I do know I've put almost 3,000 miles on it since I started noticing it and the car still drives normal. If this was bad noise inside the engine (valves, rods, who knows . . . I'm not a mechanic) making this noise would the car still be fine 3,000 miles later?

If this is the normal sound of honda valvetrains, its definitely a lot noisere than my previous engine experiances (dsm's and toyotas).
Old 03-18-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Mar 19 2006, 12:46 AM
If this is the normal sound of honda valvetrains, its definitely a lot noisere than my previous engine experiances (dsm's and toyotas).
Overhead cammed engines do tend to have much more valvetrain noise but a double overhead cam with VTEC have a lot of moving parts. Plus, Honda engines have tended to exhibit piston slap moreso than other engines, but this is a characteristic of the engine just after a cold start. Once the engine warms up, the pistons go back to their more normal "round" shape.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:05 PM

Well maybe I just need to go test drive a few other s2000's. Like I said, lots of people have told me this is normal, but as I've learned on these boards, not all people know the s2k. I had another ap2 owner tell me that I just need to get used to the s2k as his motor sounds kinda like a sewing machine, but I honestly haven't driven many of them (at least not since I got mine).

To re-state my earlier question, if this ticking noise was something bad and the two dealers and other owners are wrong, would it let the car continue to drive symptom free for 3,000 miles? Again, it could have been doing this all along, but I only started noticing it about 3000 miles ago.

I'm not trying to thread-hijack but I think we have a similiar issue.

*** Just found this old post when doing a search, this member is describing almost exactly the same thing I am (rapid ticking sound, RPM dependant, echo's off objects, etc): https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry1381983 Mine is only noticeable while driving and does not change no matter if the car is hot or cold. You also don't notice anything abnormal at idle.

Quick Reply: noisy injectors