S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Noises from the rear of my car!

Old 04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 8 2006, 12:22 PM
Your pads may be getting thin and it's your "worn pad" indicator beginning to squeal. Have the brake pads inspected and measure the remaining thickness. If this is it, there is not immediate rush unless you are planning to track the car. As the pads get even thinner, the squealing will become more constant and much louder.
Alright, I'm happy about this... I have had some new rear brake pads layin around the garage for a long time now too. So I'm ready to go, glad I go this resolved!!!

Thanks xviper and Race Miata and all the others that helped in this thread!!! Glad to have found the problem
Old 04-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

New finding....

My rear brake pads actaully have plenty of life left. But I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the brakes because when I hit the brakes the noise goes away, what can it be?
Old 04-08-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It could be just the brakes dragging a tiny bit or you've got a piece of grit that just got caught between the pad and rotor - nothing to worry about.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by kayvan_pour,Apr 8 2006, 02:06 PM
New finding....

My rear brake pads actaully have plenty of life left. But I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the brakes because when I hit the brakes the noise goes away, what can it be?
Sometimes one of my rotors may get a tiny bit of variance on the friction surface and causes bird chirping sound per wheel rotation. I just ignore it after checking it's not some other problem. Then, at car-wash I specifically spray water onto the rotors and leave them rust overnite. The first brake application the day after will clean the rust and the noise.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Banned

Sounds good guys, thanks again
Old 04-08-2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by kayvan_pour,Apr 8 2006, 03:06 PM
New finding....

What about the fronts?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

NEED HELP

The problem seems to be getting worse. It's louder and more annoying. I'm still pretty confident its the brakes though, because the noise goes away when I apply the brakes...

Could this be cause by damaged rotors? The back left rotors look ok but there seems to be a small imperfection in them, so I dont know.

Also, besides the chirping noise there is another noise at under 5 miles per hour when the brakes being applied, kind of a grinding noise.

Help please!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How did you determine that your pads have "plenty of life" left? What is this "small imperfection" you see. If you are going to tell us something like this, you have to describe it.
For all we know, you may simply just have some foreign matter stuck in the pad that's making the noise. It's hard for us to tell. It can also simply be normal brake noise when you brake. I mean, when you apply the brakes, the pads rub up against the rotor. To say you hear this grinding sound when using your brakes below 5 mph may mean nothing but something perfectly normal.
After all this time, you need to stop asking a bunch of people on the internet who can't hear what you hear or see what you see. It's time to take it to a brake shop and have it checked out if you are indeed worried about it.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xviper,Apr 18 2006, 04:40 PM
How did you determine that your pads have "plenty of life" left? What is this "small imperfection" you see. If you are going to tell us something like this, you have to describe it.
For all we know, you may simply just have some foreign matter stuck in the pad that's making the noise. It's hard for us to tell. It can also simply be normal brake noise when you brake. I mean, when you apply the brakes, the pads rub up against the rotor. To say you hear this grinding sound when using your brakes below 5 mph may mean nothing but something perfectly normal.
After all this time, you need to stop asking a bunch of people on the internet who can't hear what you hear or see what you see. It's time to take it to a brake shop and have it checked out if you are indeed worried about it.
I was just trying to see if any one had any other info. I'm going to need to take it to a shop soon. Just havnt had time, till then, if any one has any ideas, let me know!
Old 04-18-2006, 05:36 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Did you do the "tsb" on the axle nuts?

Quick Reply: Noises from the rear of my car!