S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Noises from the rear of my car!

Old 04-08-2006, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edit above post:

The first test is with the car on the ground.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:23 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Sounds like yet ANOTHER axle nut issue to me.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by billman250,Apr 8 2006, 03:23 AM
Sounds like yet ANOTHER axle nut issue to me.
Could you explain more what this is? Is it expensive to fix?
Old 04-08-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's cheap and easy to go through the procedure of doing the work. Whether or not it will "fix" anything, only time will tell.

You remove the center cap of the wheel. Unstake the indentation on the axle nut rim and remove it. Clean the area if needed and grease the nut and put it back on with 220 lb/ft of torque. Re-stake the rim and put the cap back on.
I believe Honda had a bulletin on this but your car is out of factory warranty so they won't likely do it. It's a 1/2 hour job but you should do both sides evenly.
Did you check for loose or missing wheel weights yet?
Old 04-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=xviper,Apr 8 2006, 08:42 AM] It's cheap and easy to go through the procedure of doing the work.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:40 AM

This is the best picture I have. See that big nut in the center of the wheel hub? See that the nut has a collar (or lip) in front of it? The lip is dented so that the indentation is pounded into a matching indentation on the center axle. This is called "staking". The indentation keeps the nut from turning. You have to "undent" it to undo the nut.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Banned

Ok, here is the update... I did the suspension check to see if there was any play in it and it was good at all 4 corners...

Then I did as xviper stated and checked the wheel weights and they were all good and torqued the wheels while they were on the gorund...

So the initial test seemed good, the sound was no longer there. But it's weird, as the car starts to warm the sound comes.

To better describe the sound, it's not a clunky or tapping sound actually... It sounds exactly like a bird chirping, and it does it with it seems every wheel rotation (kind of). I can't feel anything or see any other effects (so far) besides the noise. So basically its a chirping noise coming out of the rear.

Is it possible that it's the brakes making this noise??? because I notice when I brake it makes a small noise also... But it sounds like the suspension squeeking or maybe warped roters?

I'm also wondering if its maybe the suspension making these noises? I know the Koni and ground controll coilover set up has been known to make alot of squeeking noises. So I'm wondering maybe if its the brakes or the suspenions making the noises.

I think something we should try to pay attention to, is that as the car warms up the noise comes on stronger, and also the fact that there is NO NOISE IN REVERSE. Because if it was that axle nut problem or a wheel bearings. Shouldnt it make the noise going forward and reverse??? Hopefully that can help us figure out what the problem is. Any help would be great, I'm getting worried/frustrated.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:05 AM

Does the noise go away when you apply the brakes slightly? If so, I think it's nothing to worry about.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Race Miata,Apr 8 2006, 11:05 AM
Does the noise go away when you apply the brakes slightly? If so, I think it's nothing to worry about.
I guess I have some good news. I think it is the brakes. Because when I tap the brakes the noise goes away!!! So what could be causing them to make this noise?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by kayvan_pour,Apr 8 2006, 12:46 PM
I guess I have some good news. I think it is the brakes. Because when I tap the brakes the noise goes away!!! So what could be causing them to make this noise?
Your pads may be getting thin and it's your "worn pad" indicator beginning to squeal. Have the brake pads inspected and measure the remaining thickness. If this is it, there is not immediate rush unless you are planning to track the car. As the pads get even thinner, the squealing will become more constant and much louder.

Quick Reply: Noises from the rear of my car!