S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Noises at high RPM

Old 08-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises at high RPM

Hi All.

I have a UKDM MY00 AP1 S2000 (F20C).

I have a bit of an annoying problem that I hope you can assist me in resolving. When I go above 8000 RPM I get what can only be described as a metallic rattle from what appears to be the front left of the car. It sounds like of like this...

Tink....Tink Tink.... TinkTink TinkTink.....Titititititinkinkinktinktititink ....

Hopefully that makes sense !

Now, Its something which had always happened since I got the car nearly 18 months ago (20k miles) but now I'm wanting to get to the bottom of it. I've taken it to Honda a few times and they thought it was the clutch release bearing rattling. However I had a brand new clutch fitted with new pressure plate, release bearing and spiggot (?) bearing and the noise hasnt gone away.

Totally open to suggestions on what this might be, and happy to try and do a video or something if that helps
Old 08-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A video would be nice, but that kinfa ticking at high rpm doesnt sound good... I dont wanna scare you so well just wait for a video.

Standard questions that will pop up are, oil level, has it been over reved, when was last valve adjustment?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kyushin,Aug 8 2009, 12:08 AM
A video would be nice, but that kinfa ticking at high rpm doesnt sound good... I dont wanna scare you so well just wait for a video.

Standard questions that will pop up are, oil level, has it been over reved, when was last valve adjustment?
Engine pulls strong and has done since I owned it. Made 243 BHP at the limiter (Fly, not wheels obviously !) Oil level has been monitored closely (at every fuel refill or if im on the track after every session) and has never been empty when I topped it up.

I believe the valves should have just been adjusted at the last service, but they seem to be very quick doing it in the UK and as long as they are within tollerance its left as is so they could all be miles different.

It sounds very much like a loose rattling heatsheild, but with it only being at such high RPM its hard to tell I guess. I cant really rev it that high sat on the driveway with the bonnet open searching around !!

To give you an idea on its volume... if the airbox lid is off I can't hear it at all.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:11 AM

sorry for the delay on this guys, im going to go and do a video now. Back in a minute
Old 08-18-2009, 01:27 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJkEy215_Wc [/media]

as promised but overdue.... youtube is still processing so give it a minute or two
Old 08-18-2009, 05:55 PM

sounds like you need a valve adjustment. I had the same noise last week. It ended up being the valves. I know that some people actually don't do the valve adjustments properly because I think there's 2 ways to do it.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 03BlkS2k,Aug 19 2009, 02:55 AM
sounds like you need a valve adjustment. I had the same noise last week. It ended up being the valves. I know that some people actually don't do the valve adjustments properly because I think there's 2 ways to do it.
Thanks for the reply.

I actually wondered if it could possibly be aworn engine or gearbox mount. Reason being that my cars gearsticks seems to vibrate quite a lot and move around a lot on idle and then 'jolts' when you tap the throttle....?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by conanius,Aug 18 2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I actually wondered if it could possibly be aworn engine or gearbox mount. Reason being that my cars gearsticks seems to vibrate quite a lot and move around a lot on idle and then 'jolts' when you tap the throttle....?
when the stick is in gear is there any play to it?

if you get a loose shifter and vibrationg it could be from the broken or missing shifter end cap, it's a plastic cap that snap onto the lower end of the shifter, it's known for breaking or cracking on older s2k.

as for mounts, you can have a buddy check that for you, excess movement and tore inspection sounds like the first thing to do
Old 08-24-2009, 04:00 PM

Quick Update on this.

I was tipped off that if it went away when I held the gearstick tight it was probably the shifter needing greating and/or a cracked plastic endcap.

Ive done some research and worked out what grease I need to use, but I cant seem to find part numbers for the plastic end cap and apparently there is a cage this also sits in.

Does anyone know what these are please?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The end cap on the shifter is called a Pivot Cover. You should remove your shifter and inspect it, if broken it's about a US$2.50 part. Check out this website for part numbers and illustrations:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...PartsSearch.jsp