S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Noise Problems, LOUD *vid posted!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

hmmm, wow that was a great observation! Even if you are wrong and that is not the issue, you still noticed that that bolt was not correct from just watching the video, and sure enough........
Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice one John!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that wasnt it...although i did manage to loosen that bolt with no pressure at all, it was very loose. so i took everything off, turned the crank and didnt manage to see the gear wiggle. the washer didnt seem to be sitting on anything but the bolt because after loosening bolt, i could slide the washer up and down left and right but didnt seem to sit/slide on flush with anything. normal? so i tightened that bolt back tightly. put everything together, noise still there there seemed to be a scratch looking mark on the gear though, is that normal? AND i looked on the inside of the valvecover and saw a mark like maybe the gear had scratched it somehow (half-moon shape)..does anyone have a picture of how its suppose to look? (camgear/washer)

i couldnt take any pictures, fiance took camera
so i guess TCT is next?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:59 PM

so noone has a picture on how the washer is to sit in/with the camgear?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:01 PM

gimme a minute... i'll get some pics for you here as soon as i can get a gear in my hands.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM

thanks John
Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 PM

Hmmm.... If the washer moved up and down as soon as you loosened the bolt even a little bit, then that is the issue... the washer shouldn't be able to move up and down at all when the bolt is -just loosened'...

Here is a pic showing how the washer SHOULD be sitting flush against the gear if the washer is sitting correctly on the shoulder...

Here is what the washer would probably look like not sitting flush against the camgear if it isn't on the shoulder like it is supposed to be...

Here is the infamous shoulder that the washer should be sitting on...

And here is a pic showing the washer sitting properly on the shoulder...

And no, there should not be any half-moon scratch marks anywhere...

Hope this helps more!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 PM

thanks alot John! The pictures are so clear and now I have an idea on how it looks in there

From where im looking at my washer, seems to be smaller then yours because i could see a little more of the camgear, unless its not on the shoulder. And it looks like there may be markings on it. Could it be possible that the washer is worn? The washer seemed to be flush against the camgear but was still able to move around a bit. Ahh, so hard to explain haha. Ill take pictures tom. and show you.

*inside the yellow, i could still see camgear (on mine). I hope you understand, I dont know how else to say it

Anywho, Ill go at it again tomorrow and Ill be sure to get the camera from my fiance and take pictures. Thanks again John. Hopefully tomorrow will be a more productive day
Old 01-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's probably not sitting on the shoulder if you can see more than in the above picture. You need to work the washer a little to get it on the shoulder, you can try a magnetic magic wand that you use to get bolts in odd places or a screwdriver or something. If your cam idler gear bolt was loose I bet the washer wasn't on right.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 PM

^I agree. The bolt took practically no force to loosen. Ill get into it again tomorrow morning now I have a clearer picture in mind.

Quick Reply: Noise Problems, LOUD *vid posted!