S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Noise Problems, LOUD *vid posted!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the pin you are reffering to is the lock pin you have on it before you install it. When you pull the pin it locks the piston in place. Just save the hassle and get a new one.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tjs S2k' date='Jan 13 2009, 09:29 AM
I think the pin you are reffering to is the lock pin you have on it before you install it. When you pull the pin it locks the piston in place. Just save the hassle and get a new one.
yes thats the pin im talking about that is on the new one. i was going to take it out to get the worm gear sandblasted before i install it. and my question is, how easy is it to compress everything back together before i install into motor?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM

Ok, i'm going to suggest something entirely different. That doesn't sound like the TCT to me... could be wrong, but try this... and its free

I saw this in the video:

It looks like its either backed out, or has a bunch of crap around the outside of it... it doesn't look normal.

I'm guessing that the main cam gear is loose... even if the allen bolt is tight, it may not be seated correctly, allowing the gear to move forward and backwards (its helical, so at idle it moves forwards and makes a LOT of noise, but whe you rev it up, the helical teeth pull the gear back, and it shuts up)....

Pull the valve cover off, and then rotate the crank forwards and backwards and see if the gear moves to the front and back when you move the crank.

Anyway, thats my guess
Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 AM

ComposiMo - Ive been asking about that for a while now and noone seems to know, or just dont wanna tell me . The 'crap' around it is permatex I believe, and its acutally pushed in a bit. And every now and then after a drive, there seems to been oil leaking/squirting down from that allen bolt.

That is a good guess So if it does move back and forth, how would i go about tightening/re-positioning the gear?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the better pic... it definitely looks like it is too far out, and not seated right...

Here is a pic, but its a very bad one thanks to the Honda service manual...

There is a washer between the gear and the inside wall of the cylinder head... what has likely happened, is you (or someone) removed the bolt, or pulled it out slightly, enough for the washer to 'fall off' the edge that it sits on, on the bolt. so, to fix it, you'll need to loosen the bolt slightly with the valve cover off, and then with the washer loose, hold the washer up a little bit, then re-thread the bolt so that its shoulder goes through the washer, and then the thing will fully seat.

As for your oil leak, there is a small o-ring on the allen bolt... that can easily be replaced, get that permatex outta there, it doesn't belong

You can replace the o-ring without pulling the bolt all the way out. If you DO decide to pull the bolt out, be very careful to make sure your at TDC, and to NOT drop that washer down the hole...

Good luck, and i hope that helps fix your problem!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good eyes ComposiMo
Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 AM

Here is some more reference pictures for you that i just took...

How it SHOULD look

Measuring how deep the head should sit...

Right about .075" or so...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the exact noise your talking about b/c I have the exact same problem. TCT did nothing, adjusted valves a million times and it didnt stop either. HOWEVER, when i change my oil it goes away for roughly 3-5k miles then slowly comes again. Any thoughts? I may wonder if it is valve guides?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM

Would it be possible that I would need a new washer? And no it wasnt me, the guy who previously owned this motor put it together .. But Ill definitly be trying out what you said though, may save me from having to buy a new TCT haha.

So anxious to start on it, makes me forget that my car is in the freezing garage with snow still falling. Thanks alot John . Ill let you all know how it goes, IF the cam gear wiggles back and forth
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 AM

The washer should be fine, but this is one of those "who knows" kind of things... lol! btw, i misspoke slightly, the washer slides onto a shoulder on the gear, not on the bolt... but regardless, you still loosen the bolt to loosen its grasp on the washer, and then slide it onto the shoulder on the gear, and then tighten down the bolt.

The bolt is an 8mm allen btw...

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Noise Problems, LOUD *vid posted!