S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Noise at Idle with clutch in.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious,where did you buy the kit? Do you remember what brand the bearing was? Some places,especially on ebay, will use a cheaper bearing alternative.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it from Amazon, not sure exactly which company. Either way, what options do i have to repair this? Any problems driving on it other than the noise?
Old 03-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Either way the tranny will need to be removed. The bearings are greased internally so adding more grease on the outside might not make a difference .The noise might get worse and eventually the bearing will just fail.I have also heard of noisy throw out bearings lasting a long time anyway on other cars,just the noise can be annoying. Have you noticed any clutch engagement issues lately?
Old 03-03-2012, 05:18 PM

The clutch engages fine, but the pedal seems to stick a little at the bottom. Sometimes it doesn't though. The times it doesn't stick seems to be when I first start up the car in the morning. I even re-lubricated the slave cylinder piston, which helped a little, but still sticks. Other than that, it drives fine. It doesn't affect hard shifting on the track...so far.

So...maybe the sticking is because of the bearing not being able to slide back and forth smoothly?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 PM

Maybe give it a quick check on the shift fork. I had a similar problem with a mustang GT I put a clutch in, and it turned out that the clutch fork wasnt fully clipped onto the transmission pivot ball causing squeaking noises, especially when i depressed clutch pedal. Throwout bearing usually make more noise when the pedal is out because theyre not really being used a whole lot since theres no pressure on it, everything is looser and makes more noise if its dry. When you push the clutch pedal, your pushing a lot of pressure on the t.o bearing so usually they quiet up since theyre being pushed on. Just make sure the clutch fork is set properly and you can even put a little bit of grease on the fork and pressure plate splines (fingers) where the TO bearing contacts it. Also did you grease the trans splines when you put the new clutch in? Did you put a new pilot bearing?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 AM

Thanks for your help T. Swizzle, now I know I've been told the wrong thing by...well everyone. It makes total sense now that my TO bearing is not bad. I just did a lot of research on fundamentals and S2k specifics, and I'm now looking at replacing the input shaft bearing.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Most likely input shaft support bearing, or PILOT bearing. Pressed into the center of the flywheel.

My car did it. Push clutch in, was making dry metal squeaking noises. Pulled the trans and the pilot bearing was locked up solid.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Wait, if it was the pilot bearing, wouldnt it make a sound all the time, whenever the engine was running?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 AM

No, pilot bearing bearing is a small bearing pushed into the back of the crankshaft that the transmission input shaft rides it. If the engine isnt running, then nothing will be spinning, including the bearing on the input shaft. No no chance of noises
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM

From what I remember, pilot bearing is worn out - or makes noise - when the clutch is in, but when you're in gear. And this is the reason why you take it out of gear at stop lights. The input shaft is held in place in gear (but freely spins in neutral) so the pilot bearing spins around it and gets worn quicker than usual? But if mine makes noise even in neutral does that mean its not the pilot bearing? the fact that my clutch pedal feel is affected seems to point more towards the TO bearing

Quick Reply: Noise at Idle with clutch in.