S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

noise from head?

Old 03-09-2006, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from head?

ok guys i got problem here i think that noise from the head...(i'm not sure)..When the motor is hot and I have had the car off for about 10 minutes and restart, I get a noise that it sound like tac tac tac tac tac tac and i rev about 2sec its go away...
power is still good and i think this thing gets louder...some body tell me what da heck is da ma problem is.. oh and its for sure that noise from insideof engine not from auto tensioner .........
Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 PM

tac tac tac tac valve adjustment?
Old 03-10-2006, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is not something we can discern over the internet. the sound could be perfectly normal. there are way too many threads like this. a simple search would have probably shown you that.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to attempt to pinpoint where the noise is coming from if you have any hope of an internet diagnosis. If its coming from beneath the black plastic cover on the right side of the valve cover, then its probably the injectors, although I don't see this going away from blipping the throttle. Next take a screw driver, place the metal end on the valve cover and the plastic end to your ear. Move it around to get a better idea of the origin
Old 03-10-2006, 12:19 PM

I say this because of your 2 day age. We need more information. How many mile do you have on your car? What type of oil do you use? When was the last time you changed the oil? How long have you had your car? Have you been sticking to your recommended maintenance schedule? What octane gas are you running? Are there any mods on your car? Have you done anything new to your car recently? The more info you provide, the better response you will get from those who are a lot more knowledgable than me.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

If it's a fast tap (like a card in the spokes of a bicycle) it's likely the timing chain tensioner. It's about 3 times as fast as your average valve tap. If it was valves, it would do it all the time. your description is very common for the TTC (timing chain tensioner)
Old 03-10-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Joe04sk,Mar 10 2006, 01:19 PM
I say this because of your 2 day age. We need more information. How many mile do you have on your car? What type of oil do you use? When was the last time you changed the oil? How long have you had your car? Have you been sticking to your recommended maintenance schedule? What octane gas are you running? Are there any mods on your car? Have you done anything new to your car recently? The more info you provide, the better response you will get from those who are a lot more knowledgable than me.
oh yeah....i got around50000 miles on ma baby and i just rebuild my block about 8000 mile ago..and i change my oil every 1500 mile always using 91 octane gas.... i have CAI no cat and apex N1 catback ....i just tuned ma car about 5000 mile ago with VAFC 2 it came out 229whp
i think i better take ma car to dealer.... ill let you guys know whats da problem is....
Old 03-11-2006, 08:34 AM

injector tick?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a tic, tic, tic as well and have had it for probably the last 10,000 or so miles. I currently have 65k and change the oil every 4k miles with LE. I had the dealership look at it right about the time it started figuring I needed another valve adjustment which I probably had done around 45k. The dealership said everything was fine and that the sound I was hearing was very common in higher mileage Honda engines. Sort of sounded like BS to me so I did have a tuning shop listen to it and they too said everything was fine and a valve adjustment wasn't necessary. Still drives me nuts hearing it at idle but I'm assuming that if I needed some work done that one of the shops would have gladly taken my money to fix it.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:59 PM

hey guys i just changed my timing chain tensioner tonight it took me about 15 min....guess wut that loud noise is gone now it sound like brand new car......cool...
thanx guys

Quick Reply: noise from head?