S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Noise from behind middle to passenger side of dash

Old 02-12-2010, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from behind middle to passenger side of dash

First off i should point out that im from Blighty and my AP2 is RHD so the noise is from behind the dash and more to the passenger side (left) and not right of the car.

Also i did a lot of searching about TCTs and i've concluded that the noise is far to "soft and quiet" to be that. Also when i rev the engine the noise - which is a tapping - will stay at the same speed and tempo no matter what. So from that im thinking it cant be anything to do with the engine internals themselves.

Could it maybe be injector noise? I really have no clue what that would sound like.

It certainly seemed louder during the freezing winter months. Now things have started to warm up a little it seems to be much quiter. Infact sometimes its not there at all. And when i open the hood to look in i cant hear it certainly not over the whirr of the other engine bits anyway. I only hear it from inside the car and like i say it seems to coming from behind the dash or just infront of the bulk head area.

Did an oil change 100 miles ago or so and the noise hasn't changed. The car is on 9500 miles at the moment.

Just thought id better see if anyone knew anything about it. Billman seems to know his S2Ks inside out so he might be able to chime in with something.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could just be a rattle from fitment, especially if its more noticable during cold weather. Like most other things, plastic and leather expand and contract with the temperatures. I usually hear alot of noises during the winter and then they disappear over the warmer months. Sometimes they come back the following winter, sometimes not.

It sounds like your engine is fine, which is probably the most important thing. Is it possible there's a coin or screw or something hidding somewhere? Did you make any recent changes to the inside of the car?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the cars pretty much standard tbh im thinking it must be something fitment related it sounds like it could even be someting like a loose end of a cable tie battering off something but youd think blipping the revs would stop that.

Ach, i dont know what it is and it seems to have gone (havn't heard it today or yesterday) as long as the engines fine im happy! Ha ha. Thanks