S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

noise is always a problem. Big 2 question thread.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise is always a problem. Big 2 question thread.

I really dont know how to sum this all up but i beleive my engine is wearing down. 90k miles on it, and for some reason after i service it, adjust it, ect, the car still will end up making some kind of chatter noise.
I dont think chatter would be the best to describe the noise now but ill do my best to describe it.
Ive got 2 different problems, engine, and tranny.
1). engine: i just went to honda had them check out the car, i told them it was out of adjustment(valve). So they checked it out, and adjusted them to full spec and they also found that there was a bad oil seal( i forgot the name) and one of the cylinders were filling up with oil. Explains the reason as to why i would use a quart a week. But back to topic, so its had its 90k service, and now a valve adjustment. Now when i start the beast, the car makes a very inconsistant click noise. Almost sounds like the timing chain is getting a lil slack and tapping something in the cover. But the noise is like tick......tick..tick..................tick..tick.t ick.......tick. and on its goes until i turn the car off. Inconsistant. My other fear is that there is something loose. Also, if it were cracked retainers dont you think honda would have told me? But if they didnt, do retainers make a kind of click/tick noise? Plus when im accelerating the car sounds like secadas. through 1,2,3 gears.

2).tranny: Clutch pedal, becomes stiff about 2" of push then pretty much flys back to the wall, and when i release it sticks in the same spot as it did when i push it down. Almost sounds like it needs to be greased, but whats wierd is, now when i drive, its making it alot harder to shift, i whinne the car out and its embarressing. Where do i check for fluid? can i lube it?
Another with tthe tranny, when im in the 1,2,3 gears and i go to shift,(by disengaging the clutch aka push in) the car makes like a crashing/harsh vibration noise from uinderneath the car...

hey if you guys have ideas awsome, if not no worries. sorry, wont be able to upload vids, i got dial up.........

Jim
Old 10-17-2010, 03:39 PM

1. Do you have an aftermarket Intake? It is quite common that the "ringing" sound is audible when you hit about 2-3000rpm with any load higher than 75%.
2. Most likely your Clutch Master Cylinder is leaking and needs to be replaced.

Peace.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 AM

i do have an after market intake, and it is around 2-3krpm
and ill check the master cylinder out
Thanks