S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No start problem

Old 10-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start problem

Okay this is the deal. My S was supercharged, (I S/C it) I'm selling everything now so I put the car back to stock. It won't start with my stock ECU anymore. If I have the AEM EMS in with a base S2k tune it fires right up. If I put the stock ECU in I get nothing. It turns over, but no start. I pulled the plugs, only one of the spark plugs had fuel on it, which seemed really weird to me. Checked to see if I'm getting spark and nothing. So it seems as if there is no fuel and no spark with the stock ECU, but with the AEM everything is working fine. Any ideas!?!?

Fixed: Timing was off by 1 tooth. AEM will run with timing off, but stock ECU will NOT!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 AM

Anybody??
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 AM

imobolizer?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM

May sound dumb but do you have your STOCK map sensor back on the car? When I went back stock from being boosted, I could not get my car to start for the life of me. After a few days of looking over everything ,I had a friend come by and said.. (hey , why do you still have your 4bar hondata map sensor still installed?) I was like WOW THATS IT! I changed it out for my stock one and the car started right up.

It was funny , at one point I towed my car to the dealer for them to look at my ecu because I could not start my car and I thought the hondata flashpro was not reflashing the ecu back to stock. They told me that it was impossible to flash or reflash an S2000 (AP2) ECU. I told them how hondata flashpro works and they kept calling me a fake and that noone or anything can reflash our ecu.

Why do I know more then the dealer...
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I also have no start problem.
No problem at all.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 PM

I think it has something to do with the immobilizer. Yet the key is recognized by the system. I'm able to lock and unlock the doors, when I turn the key on the immobilizer light comes on for a couple of seconds then goes off. After I turn the key off, the immobilizer light flashes for about 5 seconds. All of that says that the immoblizer is working properly from what I have read.

TonysMI4: Yes I do have the stock map sensor back in the system. I've gone over everything two or 3 times. This is really driving me crazy.

More info: There is no fuel/spark with the stock ECU, in my original post I stated one spark plug did have fuel on it. Although it did, it must've been left over from when I was doing other tests.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Anybody have any other ideas. This is very annoying.

I looked at all of the sensors through the AEM EMS, everything seems to be working fine. All of the voltages are where they are supposed to be while running.

Is there anyway to reset the immobilizer/ecu communication?? I've disconnected the battery, tried the 12hr wait trick. I really don't want to drive it up to Honda which is over an hr away with the stock ECU to have them try to figure it out.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:35 PM

FIGURED IT OUT!!!

My exhaust cam was out of time by 1 tooth!!! I did some extra research and looking into timing. Read that maybe the cam timing could keep the engine from starting. Well my exhaust cam was off by one tooth. I adjusted it, tried to start it and it fired right up!!!

So Happy now!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:05 PM

How did you determine it was off? Do you have any pics of the timing? I'm having a some what similar issue. I replaced the head gasket and valve train and it won't start. I can get it to start when I unplug the cam sensor but it doesn't run well of corse. With the cam sensor plugged in, it just cranks and won't start
Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

When setting your timing via the cams, be sure you are following the marks on the cam sprocket. There are paint spots and also marks. Line up the marks and you should be good.

Quick Reply: No start problem