S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No Response from Accelerator

Old 01-01-2015, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Response from Accelerator

Hi Everyone! Long time lurker here.

I have a 2006 AP2 that I am currently and sadly lending to my dear sister. Dear sister says the alarm (Compustar 900 Prime series) went off last night, and she paid no mind to it. When morning came, she could not get the car into gear.

I am not in the country to look at the car, but I was hoping you can give me some ideas on what the problem could be. From what I gather, she is not getting any response when pressing the accelerator. The car starts, and she can get into 1st gear and reverse. I asked her to press the accelerator in neutral. She says there is no response.

I'm wondering if the alarm somehow disabled the accelerator (electrical issue?). What else could it be? It might not be related to the alarm at all, and I don't know if this has anything to do with vandalism as the alarm went off.

Any idea on the problem would be greatly appreciated. Also, the car is in the Austin, TX area. If you know a good S2K mechanic in the area, please let me know.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:18 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

2006 uses dbw. It uses a cable on the throttle, which goes to a black box under the hood, which electically moves the throttle plate in the throgtle body. So let's first see if this is a mechanical or electrical issue.

Have her open hood, and let's see if pedal moves cable or not. Locate black box. Its on drivers side fender (this is a LHD car, right?). A little more car than half way back towards firewall. There is a black cable coming out the back that goes into firewall. With car off, one person press pedal on and off, while other holds cable to feel if cable inside moves.

With a 10 mm socket the cover of this black box can be Removed then you can see for sure if the pedal is moving the mechanism or not.

If it checks out mechanically, it must be electrical. First thing to check, electrical plug to the black motor thing that moves throgtle plate on the side of the thottle body, then connector to the black box (cover has to be removed).
Old 01-01-2015, 05:26 AM

" Dear sister says the alarm (Compustar 900 Prime series) went off last night, and she paid no mind to it. When morning came, she could not get the car into gear."

tell her if the alarm goes off it's for a reason, these cars are being stolen at an 'alarming' rate
Old 01-01-2015, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the helpful tips. I'm going to pass all of this along to her, and hopefully, she'll take a crack at troubleshooting this.

Yes, LHD.