S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No power below 2.5k rpm?

Old 07-27-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No power below 2.5k rpm?

My car's acting up today and I don't know why.

I feel like I don't have any power when accelerating in first gear below 2.5k rpm. No shaking or anything..just slow. When I pass 2.5k, the power suddenly comes back like a VTEC surge.

Weather's been cooler today than anytime in the past two weeks. This has never happened before. Does this have anything to do with me smoking my clutch last night while trying to launch?

Thoughts?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Jul 27 2006, 01:33 PM
Does this have anything to do with me smoking my clutch last night while trying to launch?

Thoughts?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:15 PM

could be your clutch slipping a little, my car does that when the AC is on, kinda sucks but i deal with it, just launch higher at stop lights
Old 07-27-2006, 04:53 PM

Somebody explain to me how having the AC on is related to clutch slipage.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Jul 27 2006, 04:33 PM
My car's acting up today and I don't know why.

I feel like I don't have any power when accelerating in first gear below 2.5k rpm. No shaking or anything..just slow. When I pass 2.5k, the power suddenly comes back like a VTEC surge.

Weather's been cooler today than anytime in the past two weeks. This has never happened before. Does this have anything to do with me smoking my clutch last night while trying to launch?

Thoughts?
I don't see how your botched launch could make the engine run poorly a day later, but if the engine is accelerating normally but the car isn't, then the clutch is sliping. You may have fried it doing the burnout, or you may have just glazed it (and I suspect the latter to be more likely). If the clutch is just glazed it may clear up after a little more (normal) driving.

If it's really the motor that's down on power I haven't got a clue. If it's serious I suspect the ECU will be throwing a CEL soon.

Could it be your imagination?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jul 27 2006, 04:53 PM
Somebody explain to me how having the AC on is related to clutch slipage.
its not. i said his clutch could be slipping, then i added that my car had the same problem as his only when my AC is on, hence the comma to break up the thought in my original post.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright, i drove about 40 miles of freeway and local tonight and things are better..not 100%, but better than this morning.

To better explain the problem, the engine wasn't accelerating normally. Clutch engagement felt normal when in first gear. It's just when I hit the gas, I felt like I was trying to acecelerate in 3rd gear because I wouldn't really go anywhere. Then at about 2.5k rpm, the car and rpm's would suddenly pick up pace, almost like a vtec engagement.

I also noticed that in first and second gear, I could hit a higher speed at my normal 4k shift...maybe an extra 3mph. The rest of the gears were the same as usual.

?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking the Tranmission Fairy switched your gears while you were sleeping. Did you leave a can of lube under your pillow?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by outcrnru,Jul 27 2006, 11:11 PM
its not. i said his clutch could be slipping, then i added that my car had the same problem as his only when my AC is on, hence the comma to break up the thought in my original post.
Outcrnru, forgive me, but I'm still confused. Here, as before, you seem to say that your car has a problem with the clutch slipping, and then you add that you only have the problem when your AC is on. It sounds to me as you are saying that your clutch slips when your AC is on, and that can't be right, so if you don't mind, how about saying it differently or something, so I can figure out what part of your statement I'm misunderstanding.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Jul 27 2006, 11:58 PM
I'm thinking the Tranmission Fairy switched your gears while you were sleeping. Did you leave a can of lube under your pillow?
LOL, honestly, I can't think of a better explination.

Quick Reply: No power below 2.5k rpm?