S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No oil pressure after oil change

Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Good work getting as far as you have. Your pressure sounds a bit low so maybe you still have a blockage, is that measured as soon as you fire it up ?. Mine right now is 95-99 cold idle as soon as it fires up, it decreases from there as it heats up and idle speed drops.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only ran it about 30 seconds total as the nylon tubing for the temporary pressure gauge just about leans up against the exhaust manifold. The 60psi is read each time I fire it up. Im probably going to pull the pan and force some kerosine or diesel down the pressure port off the top of the block and down the oil filter lines while turning the crank by hand. New filter and fresh oil to follow, pray for the best

It probably wouldnt hurt to consider copper tubing for a permanent oil pressure gauge.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remake the hoses to your remote oil filter/ I've seen instances where the inner sheath gets peeled away when the hose end fitting is installed. It then flips inverted and starts to peel away inside the hose forming a crude valve/restriction.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KO'd
Only other thing that was done when the oil was changed was the turbo oil return gasket. Two bolts going from an AN fitting to the bottom of the turbo. Ive never had the valve cover or timing cover off this motor during the entire project, there was never any need. Unless one of those bolts came loose by itself during the oil change they should be just as tight as they were when the motor had oil pressure.
Man at this point, it may be prudent to just take everything aftermarket off and out of the equation. Contrary to what initial impression we had at the beginning of this thread, it has bloomed into much more relevant info that can be directly related to your issue. I don't know if you have been trying to dance around any potential for blame with your buddy if shit goes wrong or what, but we cant really help you with out all the information. In my experience its almost always something aftermarket or user error that creates the problem, rather then an uncanny coincidence. I mean did you double check that the gasket you put in is not backwards blocking a port? Or how about the return/send lines off the turbo and remote? That one happens all the time. I would by pass everything aftermarket, if the problem goes away then you systematically work up from there. If you still have a problem after all aftermarket components have been bypassed, then you start doing what your doing now.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2000Junky, let me begin with the fact that everything I have said is true. I have included all bits of information short of part numbers of the aftermarket parts. While this is the first S2K I have installed a turbo on it is most certainly not the first car I have had my hands on. I have restored, repaired, modified, refinished, disassembled and assembled numerous makes and models from 1929 all the way up to 2013 model years. I know what not to do and have done more research on this particular car than I have time under the hood. As far as potential for laying blame I had only mentioned the potential for fuel wash fearing it may have taken the bearings out, so far fuel washing dosent appear to be an issue. That was brought to attention so my brother may have some kind of info to refer to in case it was an issue, largely because I had told him not to drive it without a tune.

Regardless, the loss of pressure occurred during the oil change. Did the gasket go in backwards? Have you ever looked at an oil return fitting from a Garret turbo? Unless you fold the gasket in half or tear a piece off there is no conceivable way to put it on backwards or block a port. How about the feed and return lines, well the feed line was never touched and the return line was unbolted from the turbo to replace the gasket. Nothing more, nothing less. The remote filter lines were also left untouched. There were no issues prior to the incident, and he had been driving the car for a couple weeks without issue. It was just time for an oil change and I figured the gasket that was seeping might as well be changed at the same time.

Sorry for the long read but you had a lot of questions there and I wanted to make sure and answer them clearly. I do appreciate your input though, thats what I came here for and you guys have been a ton of help.