S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No oil pressure after oil change

Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I would still crank the engine to see if oil is coming out of the filter location, you won't do any damage as oil in the rod bearings won't be displaced, I just wouldn't run the engine if possible.

Prior to pulling the turbo could you pressurize the lines with air pressure and see if there is any blockage in the lines ?.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent had an extra hand since the last time I worked on it, and Im not about to do that one by myself. Its funny though, I was considering cramming some air in the crankcase and oil passages just to see. At least that should rule out blockage. Its pretty discouraging, knowing whats probably up next... an expensive trip to the machinist. Thats after yanking everything out. I keep walking out in the garage staring at it, trying to figure out whats going on. My buddy said I needed to walk away from it for a while, might not be a bad idea given the frustration. Its really getting to me though, I am pretty mechanically inclined and by all means should be able to figure it out.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a break and space out about it. Draw out all the oil passages on paper and space out about them. Then drink some beers and go do something else for a while. Come back to it and check the cam gear bolt, and drop the pan. Something in the head or between the pickup, pump and filter is gotta be it.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It should not be too hard to see if any oil comes out the filter supply on the relocation mount without a filter there while cranking (if you know what I mean).
Just make sure the engine does NOT start.

Well.. if it's not the filter (and going by what you said it is not) it is the pump / pump bypass.
The bypass is no more than a springloaded rod.
If, during the first start after the oil change, that rod gets pushed backwards more than normal or faster or whatever and jammes, all oil flows back into the sump.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Alright guys, Ive been completely honest about everything that has occurred. Everything I have posted is true, however I havent included every single detail in the situation. For starters the car isnt mine but my brothers. It has been my project to install the turbo and the mass of parts accompanying it as well as a clutch, pressure plate, and lightweight flywheel. It has been a fun project with a few hiccups along the way but nothing serious. The worst issue has been getting a tune on the EMS. With that said the car has been driven for a few weeks with just the base line tune, NOT aggressively though. My worry would be the motor being fuel washed, it was running pretty rich.

Im still baffled by it though, yes the oil was thin and there was an extra quart (I believe he may have added some when it wasnt necessary) but to go from having acceptable oil pressure to zero with an oil change? That I find hard to believe. Any thoughts on this? I guess the next step would be to pull the oil pan and check out some bearings, thinking that extra oil might have been gasoline and wasted the bearings. Im really not too sure on this but I have mentioned to him the potential of it being fuel washed. Id like to hear some input on this, hopefully that Im wrong and there is some other issue.

Again, any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the fact the oil was really thin and fuel diluted could be your problem. Especially if you drained it hot.

The pump may have completely lost prime and gone dry. with no oil at all on the gears it won't pull oil up the pickup tube.

If you can get a hold of a porta power or some other similar device (pre-luber) to put pressurized oil INTO the oil pressure port at the block and force oil back into the pump and all the other lines the car has.

Then start it, see if it'll build pressure. If not, you're pulling the pan, pressurizing the system again and look for a lot of leakage.

I have heard of this with J V6s, they get drained out, and that's it.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 PM

Ill definitely look into this fredsvt, it was drained hot. I will try pressurizing the system at the oil pressure port and see what kind of pressure I can build with the motor cranking. Im still concerned about the bearings though. Do you suppose the potential of fuel diluted oil could have caused damage on the bearings?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the average fuel dilution for the average AP1?
Lets say around 2%
Even if you double (or tripple) that with a turbo setup I don't think the oil will be "thin"
The oil will smell like fuel, sure, but most of it will still be oil.
What was the mpg when it was running, before the oil change?
That will give you a ballpark idea on how much fuel dilution may have happened.
Running rich will wash the oil film of the cylinder walls and some of that will make it past the rings and into the oil, but not all.
And.. engine oils are designed to deal with some dilution.

As far as I could find, gerotor (oil) pumps are self priming, as long as there is some oil in the housing.
I doubt your oil pump would be dry as a bone (like it would be when new / never used) after the oil change, even with 6% fuel diluted oil.
Besides, the pickup tube is not that long and submerged in oil when the engine is not running so the vacuum the gerotor has to create to suck up oil is very minimal.

If the bearings were damaged enough to be the cause for no oil pressure at all you would have found debris in the VTEC screen for sure.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Well the oil did smell a little bit like gas, but it dosent reak of gas. Perhaps he did add some oil when it wasnt necessary, at least I hope thats the case. He said he was still getting pretty decent mileage, 22-25 ish, but the exhaust and plugs are so full of carbon it had to be running extremely rich. I pulled the plugs last night and stuck a boroscope down there, didnt exactly look pretty but it wasnt all nasty like I had expected. I couldnt get much of a look at the cylinders due to my cheap boroscope and the small hole for the spark plugs but I have to wonder what they look like. Im really not sure what else to do at this point, Ive done everything you guys mentioned (except the cam wheel bolt, Ill have to check that one out) so I guess the oil pan is coming off
Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

why can't you check to see if oil is making it to the oil filter mount ?, it is very easy to check.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure after oil change