S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No oil pressure after oil change

Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure after oil change

Any of you guys out there have any idea why a year 2000 s2k would lose all oil pressure right after changing the oil? This is seriously not cool.

When I say all oil pressure I mean zero pressure at all. I hooked a mechanical gauge up to the spot where the sending unit is to see why the oil light went on right after an oil change, the gauge read nothing. Fearing it may have been a bad gauge I had a friend fire it up (ready to shut it off right away if need be) while I had the nylon hose just hanging with no gauge attached and sadly there was NO OIL coming out of that port. The light came on and stayed on at the first fire up with new oil. I had to second guess myself on what I poured in there, nope... its oil. Ive been considering putting a different filter on there (new K&N oil filter) but I doubt thats going to change things.

This is seriously not cool. I cant even begin to think why an oil change would cause a sudden loss in oil pressure but the reason why is irrelevant. Whats relevant is getting the pressure back up. Hopefully without too much tear down, but Im not getting my hopes up. I truly am S2KO'd now

Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM

Faulty oil pump? As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a model specific problem. Any modifications?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a chance some sort of debris got into the system? Something could be binding the pump.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

I am mot sure of the issue causing your problem, I would check the screen on the vtec solenoid and make sure it is not clogged with metal, it is easier to check than the pick up screen in the oil pan. It sounds like something clogging the oil system, it could be a bad oil pump too, something that I suspect led the failure of my first engine.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM

Mods are turbo, full exhaust, and clutch. All the filter relocation lines are good and oil is always checked. I cant see how all of a sudden the pressure would disappear with an oil change, but I guess the oil pump just decided to quit. Thats some impeccable timing right there if thats the case. It hasnt been driven it since this happened btw, I am not burning this motor up. Im capable of putting an oil pump in but dammit, its just another cost I can barely afford.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM

my motor let go due to a bad oil pump, I was idling and it just shut off and was siezed, tore it down the oil pump was very hard to turn by hand !!!

if you change the filter, pre fil the filter before you install it, then disconnect the fuel injector clips and crank the motor over for 40 seconds, if the oil light doesnt go out or start to flicker your f@#ked, if it flickers or goes out quick reconnect the injector electrical connectors and try to fire it up and watch the light......

-Lee
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM

I certainly hope there isnt any metal on the vtec solenoid screen, I would be very worried about where that metal came from. Ill check it regardless. This is really starting to get on my nerves.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 PM

Vtec solenoid screen is clean. I really dislike pulling the oil pan seeing how I Hondabonded it back on.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Stupid question but is there oil showing on the dipstick? If there is change the filter.
Utah
Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KO'd
Vtec solenoid screen is clean. I really dislike pulling the oil pan seeing how I Hondabonded it back on.
That is a good sign on the vtec solenoid screen. I'd hold off on dropping the oil pan. A bad oil pump shows up as low oil pressure it can never be totally dead like 0 unless something went bad with the oil pump chain, but that would be very rare. Change the filter like Utahs2k said, hopefully someone like Billman can chime in and give more guidance.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure after oil change