S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No Compression Cylinder 4

Old 05-09-2016, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Compression Cylinder 4

Hello,
I recently purchased my first s2000 (02' AP1) but have been searching for one for a long time. I recently discovered what I thought was going to be my dream car but my dream has quickly becomes NIGHTMARE. Just hours after purchasing the car I went out for a car wash but to my surprise when I turned the car over a CEL came on, I immediately ran inside and grabbed my reader. Threw a misfire in cylinder 4 code. Did a little research and tried to remedy the problem swapped plugs and coil packs but the CEL came right back on. Took the car to be compression tested, normal compression in cylinders 1,2,3 but 0 compression in cylinder 4. The car cold starts and idles fine but after a few seconds the idle becomes rough. From what I've found so far could it be bent valves? Cracked retainers? The local mechanic said I could need a full rebuild. I feel horrible about this purchase I bought cash from a private party so there's no returning it and I've put less than 60 miles on the car and never taken it to redline or missed a shift.

Any advice helps!
If you've had similar problems I want to know what you ended up having to do to fix it...

I looked for a stock/clean title s2000 for a very long time and I thought this was it, how screwed am I?

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 05-09-2016, 02:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Just hours? Not sure what state you're on but states I'm familiar with allow any contract to be voided in 3 business days or less for any reason. Good reason, bad reason, no reason at all. If you bought the car Saturday you still can do this. No compression in #4 didn't happen yesterday. Find an attorney for better advice.

How much of a test drive did you take it on?

-- Chuck
Old 05-09-2016, 07:40 AM

We went on a 40 mile drive together before I purchased the car. I have contacted an attorney but the guy I bought the car from has refused any responsibility and he's claiming I'm the one who caused the issues.
Also I live in Idaho.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 AM

I put less than 50 miles on the car before the CEL came on and it hasn't moved since coming back from its compression test on Saturday. Taking it to have a leak down test performed. Will keep you posted.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Just hours? Not sure what state you're on but states I'm familiar with allow any contract to be voided in 3 business days or less for any reason. Good reason, bad reason, no reason at all. If you bought the car Saturday you still can do this. No compression in #4 didn't happen yesterday. Find an attorney for better advice.

How much of a test drive did you take it on?

-- Chuck

Originally Posted by Boise_S2K
We went on a 40 mile drive together before I purchased the car. I have contacted an attorney but the guy I bought the car from has refused any responsibility and he's claiming I'm the one who caused the issues.
Also I live in Idaho.

Originally Posted by Boise_S2K
I put less than 50 miles on the car before the CEL came on and it hasn't moved since coming back from its compression test on Saturday. Taking it to have a leak down test performed. Will keep you posted.
Stop driving the car and adding miles NOW. Get receipts and documents for the work you've already had done, and lawyer up. If you think you can sue the asshole for attorney/court fees as well, do it.

This would be my first attempted course of action. Try to reverse this sale if it's not too late, make sure you start the legal process now so you can hit that 3 day window.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth OP I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I know how frustrating it is to work towards something you're excited for and then have it all fall apart due to bogus/BS reasons.

I hope this ends up working out for you, and you're able to find a proper S2000 that's everything you wanted. Most of our community isn't asshats like this guy that you're having to deal with.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 AM

Every attorney I've contacted says I'm screwed . I saved for three years to be able to pay in cash in full, and that's exactly what I did. Because of that I have very limited protection. They said that without any evidence that the previous owner knew of damage I have no claim. I plan on pursuing the matter in small claims court to sue for the cost of repairs but I'm basically on the hook for repairs until we have our day in court. Other than legal advice has anyone else experienced similar problems with their car?

Seems like a lot of people have had problems with cracked retainers and valves. If I have no compression in one cylinder does that indicate anything? Is the motor for sure done because of that because the mechanic I took it to said it could need anything from a valve adjustment to a full rebuild. I know it's hard to speculate not knowing the condition of the valve train and heads but what's my best case and worst case scenario here as far as repairs go?

Like I said I saved to buy the car and don't really have a ton left over to make costly repairs.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:03 AM

Im no pro, but it sounds like you've been given your best and worst case scenario. Best case is you need a valve adjustment (which I highly doubt with 0 compression) and worst case you need a rebuild. Might just want to buy a new head if its anything with the valves. Labor costs for rebuild will be about the same price anyway.

I say sue the crap out of this guy immediately. Or present him with laws saying you are allowed to reverse the sale within 3 days, so that when it DOES go to court, the judge can see that you tried to reverse the sale - the seller refused, and you win.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if anyone in your regional sub forum went to look at the car and they may have taken it to a mechanic and possibly even done a compression test.
If they have that compression test data and backed out of the sale, then you have proof that the owner knew about the damage.

It's a long shot, but worth a try.

Don't drive the car until you do a leakdown test. Determine if the damage is only in the head, the bottom, or both. If it's in the head, you could get out of this for maybe $1k if you're lucky. Worst case I would say $4k for a longblock plus install.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! I did contact him immediately (same day as sale) to return the car and he basically said to pack sand. Even after trying to be reasonable with the guy he claims he knew of no problems and that it was due to abuse from me. I definitely will move forward with a lawsuit for the total cost of repairs and hopefully get something out of this guy.

Will post pics and keep you updated on the engine tear down. I've rebuilt a couple ls1 motors and am pretty mechanically competent and have a master mechanic helping me out as well but will return with some questions.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Silver Lining: Since you get to tear it apart so quickly, you will know the ins and outs of it for your long future together!

Quick Reply: No Compression Cylinder 4