S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No Clutch Resistance

Old 11-23-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dammitjim,Nov 23 2009, 10:35 AM
I just came in here to say ikeyballz

ikeyballz

Btw, IIRC the slave cylinder blowing up was usually due to a bad clutch install, when they didnt position the slave cyl properly. I had it happen to me - you can stick it back together to make it work fine.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just dropped in to say my '03 drove home last Friday just fine. Pulled it out of the garage on Monday and WTF? The clutch is all wonky.

I was quite alarmed at the sudden change in the feel - grabs much closer to the floor and the dead area at the beginning of travel was way more than what it usually was. I checked the clutch fluid reservoir and was nearly empty.

Tuesday I called to make a service appointment for today. Today, it was getting hard to get it into 1st and reverse and I checked behind the clutch pedal and yup, it's full of brake fluid. It made it to the shop without much incident, but no car 'till Monday.

6 years of ownership and it's the second thing to break on this car. The first was the key ignition which always though a key was in it.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 PM

i had this exact same problem a few thousand miles ago. clutch would not engage till within the last inch or so of pedal travel and 1st and reverse were a biatch to get into. i checked my clutch fluid and it was pretty much empty and BLACK. i just cleaned out the reservoir really well, flushed and bled the system with about a bottle of clutch fluid and refilled the reservoir with fresh fluid. clutch feels fine now and ive had no problems since.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silver696,Nov 26 2009, 12:39 AM
i had this exact same problem a few thousand miles ago. clutch would not engage till within the last inch or so of pedal travel and 1st and reverse were a biatch to get into. i checked my clutch fluid and it was pretty much empty and BLACK. i just cleaned out the reservoir really well, flushed and bled the system with about a bottle of clutch fluid and refilled the reservoir with fresh fluid. clutch feels fine now and ive had no problems since.
Check behind your clutch pedal and see if there's any fluid leaking back there. If there is, your fix is just temporary.

EDIT:

Just called the service center. Master cylinder is definitely shot, slave is also bad. Now I'm waiting on the bad news ($$$)
Old 11-27-2009, 09:50 PM

So it was INDEED the clutch master cylinder. When we took it out, liquid was seeping through it.

$109 for the part (OEM Honda) + labor like mentioned. I decided to replace the tranny fluid to synthetic while the car was being worked on... what a big difference, the S2K shifts like butter now. =)
Old 11-28-2009, 05:02 AM

good to hear. I got qouted $450 to get my slave cyl. replaced by Honda. i ordered it online for $65+shipping. replaced it in ten minutes. But that drive home pumping the clutch to get it to shift was scary!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by rworne,Nov 26 2009, 07:02 AM
Check behind your clutch pedal and see if there's any fluid leaking back there. If there is, your fix is just temporary.

EDIT:

Just called the service center. Master cylinder is definitely shot, slave is also bad. Now I'm waiting on the bad news ($$$)
well i just looked under the dash and behind the clutch and everything is totally dry. the only hint of any moisture/fluid at all is the little bit of grease on the clutch cylinder. everything seems to be in place just fine. if there is anything else i should be worried about let me know please
Old 11-30-2009, 09:39 AM

I have this SAME issue on my 2003 S2000 with just over 50,000mi.

Pressing the clutch down for the first 90% there is absolutely no resistance, just drops to the floor. I can still get it into 2nd-6th gears (1st and reverse are nearly impossible, 2nd and 3rd are sometimes rough). Car runs great as long as I don't have to shift.

When I first started having a problem with it becoming hard to shift, I took it to Honda and had them change my differential and transmission fluids to full synthetic. Unfortunately that did not help at all and the problem got worse and worse. I now have it parked in my garage for the winter months.

I don't think I have the problem of my fluids leaking since I did get them changed and there was no difference. Also I don't see any leakage on the floor of my garage.

Could my clutch just need an adjustment? or do I need a new clutch? It is my daily driver and I do play a bit but I take care of it and it hasn't been abused much

Thank you!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 AM

^I don't see any mention of your looking behind the clutch pedal to see if the MC was leaking...

My clutch MC died over the weekend. I ordered a replacement from Majestic Honda this morning. Total shipped FedEx was $95.47. I'm guessing it will be at my door by Wed-Thurs.

I also took the opportunity to order a braided stainless clutch line from Science of Speed. I hope this will be the only time I mess with these parts, so for less than $30 it was worth the upgrade.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/dri...tch_slave_hose/
Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 AM

@drewmob
It's been sitting for a couple months and I didn't look behind the clutch pedal for fluids when I first started having the problem. Tonight when I get home I'll check the clutch fluid and the MC.

From what I've read on this and other sites, that is most likely what the problem is. All the symptoms and even the year/mileage match other posters that have had this problem.

It will be nice to get this fixed and be able to drive it again - broke down 1 month before my final payment! ;(

Quick Reply: No Clutch Resistance