S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No cabin filter aircon smells bad

Old 03-21-2013, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No cabin filter aircon smells bad

Hey guys
I realised that when the aircon starts there is a bad smell everytime when i start it up and last like for like 30~60sec and the smells goes away. I thought that i may have a bad cabin filter so i went to check and there was nothing there. . . soo just wondering how do i get crap up from there and what other cause maybe the reason the aircon has a weird smell. I remember using reading a thread about using the fan to blow all the damp air out ebfore the end of your trip but it seems to just come back every startup regardless what i try. Also my aircon is icy cold but the heater does not work at all. Im guessing the heater core maybe block but how do i confirm this?
Any help will be appreciated
cheers
Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually if it's not the filter then there is some stuff in there. Either it's mold and fungus or an uninvited guest. If it is the mold type it is usually located near the A/C evaporator due to the moisture while running. You could take it out and clean it but that is a major pain. They also make some spray to use on it that kills the mold. I don't know if it works but I have seen it. If it is a rodent, then removing it is the first step. Then a lot of Febreze and air fresheners.

A/C odor treatment
Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaS2K
Usually if it's not the filter then there is some stuff in there. Either it's mold and fungus or an uninvited guest. If it is the mold type it is usually located near the A/C evaporator due to the moisture while running. You could take it out and clean it but that is a major pain. They also make some spray to use on it that kills the mold. I don't know if it works but I have seen it. If it is a rodent, then removing it is the first step. Then a lot of Febreze and air fresheners.

A/C odor treatment
dunno but this sound awfully bad lol
When the aircon isnt on there is no smell is just when the aircon is on for the first minute
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

A product like einszett 961105 Klima Cleaner will help with the odor problem. If it is indeed strong you may need two cans of it.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My car was perpetually smelling like old water one time. Found out that the drain hose on the bottom of the heater box was being pinched by the passenger floor mat and the liquid that condenses on the AC unit there couldn't drain out. If you look under the passenger footwell you should see the black rubber hose coming out from the box. Under the car, look at your header collector and you'll see where the same rubber hose comes out from the cabin. I just grabbed that and pulled it a bit and water poured out. This solved my smell issues.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
My car was perpetually smelling like old water one time. Found out that the drain hose on the bottom of the heater box was being pinched by the passenger floor mat and the liquid that condenses on the AC unit there couldn't drain out. If you look under the passenger footwell you should see the black rubber hose coming out from the box. Under the car, look at your header collector and you'll see where the same rubber hose comes out from the cabin. I just grabbed that and pulled it a bit and water poured out. This solved my smell issues.
Ill give that a go since might be related to the reason why my passengers side of the carpet smels like crap ;C
thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 AM

Well updates guys

I tried using the aircon mildew cleaner spraying it into the aircon filter sat and sprayed the whole can in there directly (on the foam like thing behind the filter) and pinching the drain hose underneath the passneger side still this bad smell exist when the aircon get turned on. I have also noticed that when the a/c is off but the fans are running it would be blowing out humid air and i can feel it from the vents and it fogs my windscreen a bit. I have also noticed the interior fogs up pretty damn easily when parked outside overnight so im wondering if there water trapped in the aircon system or something

Cheers
Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Sounds like that A/C drain hose is clogged. You may need to run a piece of wire through it or something.

Does anything drip out of it when you run the A/C for a while? If not, its clogged.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Sounds like that A/C drain hose is clogged. You may need to run a piece of wire through it or something.

Does anything drip out of it when you run the A/C for a while? If not, its clogged.
havent noticed anything like that soo hopefully thats the case
will give that a go

cheers