S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Newbie here... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to ADD HP to the S2K is to

Old 08-26-2003, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is awesome out of the box. I know that I don't drive to the capability of the car. I wanted to go to the SCCA nationals to see how I would compare in SM2, but it doesn't look feasable at this point.

I myself wouldn't buy a BMW, I would buy a used S for under 20K.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tenblade2001
[B]
I never once said ALL FI will blow ALL engines.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I've dyno'd 4 bolt-on and go Vortech kits on S2000s. Every single one of them is running too lean for long term durability. In some cases, very lean.

2. I've seen a number of engine failures on both turbocharged and SC cars. Nothing really to differentiate there. In many cases, the car was running too lean or with too much timing.

3. Any S2000 running forced induction without a proper engine management system (not a black box or VAFC) is asking for trouble. If you beat on the car, expect it. You're counting on the stock knock sensor to pull out heaps of timing to protect you. And its pulling out tons of timing every time you get into boost because its detecting knock (on pump gas). Those of you stuck with 91 octane better be extremely cautious. Oh, and a number of those engine failures belong to people on this board - but not many have posted about it. Wonder why...

We went through all this crap with Hondas way back when (early/mid 90's). Before we had good engine management solutions, people would retard the distributor, bolt on a rising rate FMU and go for it. THe cars would ping, mixtures would be funny and eventually you'd lose a head gasket or piston. Today, the F20C has a better knock system, but you can't even retard the distributor. And its running more compression than any previous Honda.

FI is not the problem. Engine management is. Get it, or regret it. I've been there and done that.

UL
Old 08-26-2003, 05:55 PM

UL,

Good advice. Yes my car was running too lean. From my understanding the Vortech Black box is pulling 3 deg of timing out, where I don't know. Supposedly the black box can be bought from the original manufacturer and is programable. The unit vortech sells is not programable. The cost is a few hundred less than the AEM unit.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]1.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:09 PM

The VAFC harness made it very plug and play. I am now in safe A/F zone 12.5.

FMU, stock injectors and VAFC, is a band aid and I know it.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:36 PM

Hey CMI,
Again, I think your experienced and watch out for the car. Some folks, like we discussed (more money than brains) bolt this bad boy on and go. Anyway, we starting to beat this damn horse to death. Have fun on the balls out bull and good luck at the track.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:38 PM

I installed this kit myself and I wanted to know as much about the characteristics and what it was going to do to my car in the long run. I also spent some time at one local shop that has good and bad reviews, so that I could get additional information on FI.

1 year after buying the car, I am FI with a SC. I do believe that people should make an educated decision and should know as many pros and cons. I can live the fact that I may have to replace the drive line and possibly the engine in the future. A risk I was willing to take.

www.google.com had alot to do with what I now know, on top of the information and hundreds of threads on this site.

I am by no means an expert in this field. I am mortgage/real estate guy, that is my expertise and profession.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:30 AM

Well, back to the original question guys...
I think I've settled. I am DEFINITELY buying either an S2000 or RX-7. I'm pretty knowledgable with rotaries from previous experience so I'm not intimidated... We'll see what I decide but I aim to have a 2800lb rocket of one type or another. I'll let you guys know!
Old 08-27-2003, 01:20 PM

Rotary problems with the 3rd gen have been figured out. I believe fuel starvation had alot to do with, blown engines.

500 whp can be made out of a rotary and keep some street driveability to them.

If I were to build an import drag car it would be rotary 3rd gen RX7. Built by a national champ Steve Cann(sp?) He is out here in my area and has his own shop now. He once drove RX7's built by Jotech and Kenny Tran's group.

Quick Reply: Newbie here... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to ADD HP to the S2K is to