S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Newbie here... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to ADD HP to the S2K is to

Old 08-25-2003, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't even go BMW with me. Go to the North Texas S2000 club and see the results from the BMW event over the weekend. I placed 3 rd with my S2000. 1st a C5, 2nd M3/M4. No other M's were even close to my SC S.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CourageOO7
[B]Eh...Personally, I think I'd opt for the Comptech Supercharger.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CMI,
No flame intended, but how can you say daily driveability is not compromised. The SC requires tunning and retunning. Its not a plug and play mod. I agree you get great results, but the old saying that "there is no such thing as free HP" is true. Depending on who you talk to, FI can be a real PAI.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:16 PM

I can say it because I have already put over 2,000 miles on the car since final installation 7/31/03. 1 track day at TMS in 100+ degree temps and about 60 miles of track time. 1 autocross and I drive the shit out of this car all day long. I have since gone to 10W-40 redline to add additional protection. I can say it because I live it. Thank you. I average 185 miles to tank if gas. 18 mpg. Am I proud of my gas mileage hell yes.

And you are wrong the supercharger doesn't need to be tuned, just fine tuned or tweaked to extract more power in and under the curve... look at my first run dyno vs last run. I have re-tightened the belt 3 times since installation, checked fittings for tightness and looked for leaks of any kind. I have since tighted some fitting to prevent any future leaks or problems.

My car runs like a bull with its balls strapped down with a leather belt, ye-ha!

Unless I am missing something in your signature, I don't see forced induction of any kind... ? that puzzles me. Question what I say when you experience it.

I have not read a "My motor blew up" Due to a "Supercharger" thread. When I say that, I mean, the kit was untouched, as-is installation. No upgrades to get more boost.

I have read dozens of "My motor blew up" w/ "Turbo" threads.

ten,
no flame intended back, just an intense response.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:22 PM

I can launch the car at 4500 rpms and it is much easier than dumping it at 6K with a stock set up. The wheels break loose easier now.

as far as generating power the novi 1K is at is peak at 6 psi. The unit is good for 12 psi max.

The standard votech gear drive charger unit is capable of 30 psi, the set up for the S2000 is 7 psi. The vortech kit has much more potential in the long run due to the charger that is used. There are several vortech applications running around with 11 psi on stock internals with proper fuel delivery and tuning this can be reliable.

Just recently out here in Dallas a S2000 put down 375 to the wheels first run untuned with a custom turbo set up.

This website is not the only source for information. There is a very small amount of S2000 owners represented on this site.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:25 PM

To all:

First, I don't like BMW's period. Mc Pherson Strut suspension and a bunch of other things. I don't own one, and I never will pending massive designg changes.

Second, I have been told by several reliable sources (Including Road and Track mag) that the drivetrain of these s2k's couldn't deal with much more torque or hp. I can't swear to the truth of this, but this is what I was told.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 08-25-2003, 07:49 PM

the problem with the rear end is the housing is weak and the LSD and gears are being pushed out the back. Comptech has a solution for this and so far they are the only solution for $400 you can get one of there reinforced rear ends. For another $500 plus install you can get an upgraded clutch.

No one said that the S2000 driveline could handle the power forever. Some have elected to go with ford mustang cobra diff. rear end conversion.

The drive train can't handle the shock, if you pretension or pre-load these components before dropping the clutch then it seems handle it a little better. I don't drag race my car everyday. I am sure these components will wear fast or fail if drag racing the car was an owners primary motive.

There are many owners with stock drive train and supercharger set ups running strong as a daily drivers.

I will keep those of you updated with the status of my car.

I plan on upgrading the clutch and then upgrading the rear end with comptech reinforced housing and doing 4.44 rear gears at the same time.

ACT PP, OEM disk, toda flywheel $900, install $350. $1250

Cryo treatment of rear end parts $100 or less? Comptech rear end housing $939 this includes a core exhange of $370, 4.44 rear gears $590, installation of rear end and gears $400. $2399-370 = $2029

3K on driveline parts and installation that will most likely last the life of my ownership, if not for a long time to come for some one else to use and get the benefit of real long term upgrades.

Now this is not the 20K that your C&D and R&T said it would cost.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
[B]I can say it because I have already put over 2,000 miles on the car since final installation 7/31/03. 1 track day at TMS in 100+ degree temps and about 60 miles of track time. 1 autocross and I drive the shit out of this car all day long. I have since gone to 10W-40 redline to add additional protection. I can say it because I live it. Thank you. I average 185 miles to tank if gas. 18 mpg. Am I proud of my gas mileage hell yes.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:20 PM

Whoa! Y'all are intense...
Listen, I was JUST considering the M Coupe. Another option might be the 3rd gen RX-7. There's no arguing what that car can do...HOWEVER
I don't have $10,000 to pour into a car. For about $25,000 I want to buy something that gives me a GREAT base platform for a project car I can have for years. For that much cash I could by a 400whp RX-7 but the rotary motor scares the crap out of me as far as reliability and maintenance.
What makes me nervous about the S2000 is that I'm used to FI cars and the S2000 lacks the torque I am typically used to. I love that it's light, nimble, and looks great. I mean, come on, did you see the video of the CompTech S2000? That thing HANDLES!
From what I've read, a supercharger is likely a good idea if you want reliable power but that means you HAVE to upgrade your driveline if you are going to track the car.
So, I ask you...if you had $25,000 to spend. What would you get? My goals? Daily driver that will gradually be converted into a track car. I need a strong base platform and I prefer to buy something that's already had some modifications done to it so I'm not starting from scratch. Should I do that RX-7 or should I start with the S2k and take a few years building it?
Old 08-25-2003, 08:24 PM

"Busting my balls b/c I raise a valid point You want to see I a "I blew my engine becuase of supercharger" thread. I'll find the one posted by Jackie on the mid-atlantic board. He did blow his engine. Of course, since he works at a Honda dealership, he got it replaced under the guise of #4 failure. But, he'll even admit it was the inproperly tuned FI. In addition, try looking at the numerous threads about trashed differentials or the for For Sale forum, where members were trying to buy diffs b/c the SC tore the hell out of theirs.
You're right, I don't run FI and don't want to run FI specificaly for the reasons I mentioned.
I never quesioned you per se, what I questioned was the reasoning behind your statements based on the extensive reading and PMs I done b/c I was interested in FI at one time."

Honestly, I agree with CMi on this topic. You can typically bolt on a SC and get 270-290rwhp. I never "had" to tune mine, I just did to smooth out the power curve. I know of 4 people around here that just bolted theirs on as well. I've never seen any posts on anyone blowing their diff or engine due to the SC. I gurantee the diff topic(s) were not solely due to the SC. I'm almost willing to bet the mortgage that there were some clutch drops and whatnot...whether they admit it or not. That's a lot harder on the diff than the SC. I've been running a SC with upgraded pulley on my car for 16000 miles now, haven't had any problems whatsoever...and I drive my car hard. I'm currently getting almost 350rwhp and no signs of any problems so far. Seriously, the diff problems posted on this board are more than likely due to clutch drops or other factors, and not the SC.

Quick Reply: Newbie here... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to ADD HP to the S2K is to