S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Newbie here... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to ADD HP to the S2K is to

Old 08-25-2003, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to ADD HP to the S2K is to

supercharge or slap a turbo on it? From what I've read exhaust and intake do little but make some sound. Is there no relatively economical way to reach about 270HP? I really want a little extra boom but 350HP is overkill and way too much cash for me.

Any ideas? Thanks...
Old 08-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

An SC will put about 290 HP to the wheels. If you stay NA, expect small gains for big $$.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:08 PM

So, in other words...it's all or nothing? Either you have HUGE power with a supercharger or you have little to no other way of improving power?

Well, if that's the case...what do superchargers do for drivability? What about engine life? Is it greatly reduced?
Old 08-25-2003, 02:34 PM

Here is something to chew on.

Everyday Drive ability is not affected at all.

long term wear and tear? How long have you kept your last 2 vehicles? Most people trade-in every 2-3 years.

Forget CAI, exhaust, or anything else at this point.

The best combo is SC, header, single outlet exhaust with some type of electronics to tune the A/F. Or a custom Turbo set up or turbo kit that has been proven and tested over the last year or 2.

3850-100 = $3750 final price, you can't beat that for the results shown below. The GB distributor told a group of us in e-mail today that they would be willing to hold another GB. Although it would have to be off this forum due to the forums current rules.

Old 08-25-2003, 02:45 PM

Eh...Personally, I think I'd opt for the Comptech Supercharger. I'm usually more of a turbo guy but I think I'd prefer a Supercharger in the S2000 due to the lack of low end torque. Superchargers tend to help power all around rather than above a certain RPM range (although the Honda motor is a tough cookie because of the VTEC not kicking in until 6k).
Old 08-25-2003, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, who is going to field THIS one?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A big question here is will the drivetrain handle it? According to my tech question submitted to Road and Track mag and published in the April '03 edition, it will not. I noticed that the Comptech tuner featured in the Set. '03 Car and Driver featured a whole new drivetrain to go with it's SC.

Now, I don my flame retardant suit. IMO there is something REALLY wrong with the s2k stock air intake. It's too small. It's right over the radiator top for lots of unwanted heat, and there is no airpath to it. Further, I don't think all the CAI makers, etc., have gotten it right yet. I certainly don't have the answer, given the limited space to work with. But I was just comparing it with my wife's MB C320 and the difference was shocking! The MB is a V6 has a separate TB for each bank of cylinders. Separate air filter boxes, and seperate straight hoses with snorkels right behind the grill top and pointing outside. Man, I'd love it if my s2k could be set up that way, even with one TB, etc. But to get a straight shot, I'd have to run an air hose right through the radiator (BAD idea). And this MB isn't ever a performance car! Oh, well, maybe in future years, Honda will figure something out.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 08-25-2003, 03:16 PM

I will be working on a way to snorkle in fresh air for the supercharger. Since this picture I have pulled the vortech air box and filter out and just clamped on a AEM filter at the end of the elbow. Like a turbo set up. I can now touch the air filter after running the car pretty hard the vortech black box was heat soaked and hot for several hours.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:19 PM

Wow, that's good info...I didn't know the stock drivetrain can't handle the added power. It's rather surprising considering Honda usually makes vehicles knowing that people are going to mod the crap out of them.
Well, I found the S2000 I am going to buy and now you are making me think twice. Maybe I should do the M Coupe instead?
I dunno...
Old 08-25-2003, 04:24 PM

Before you say the stock drive train can't handle the power go over to the racing forum and see what they think.

Does the stock clutch eventually need to be upgraded? yes. Can you safely launch the car by pre-loading the drive train?, yes.

Does the rear end need to be reinforced? yes. Can this all be done for way less than what comptech claimed in the article? yes.

Have I had any problems with the clutch, yes, I tried to launch at 6K rpms. Since then 4500 is enough to get a little wheel spin.

As someone stated already, the supercharger just adds power evenly or smoothly across the RPM band. The SC makes linear power, so it takes the stock power band, which is linear and lifts up to another level. It is not a shock to the system like a turbo that can and will spool to full boost at 3500 rpms. Not that is a shock.

Do more research and find these answers on your own. Take it all in collectively. 6 months of reading old threads pushed me in to the direction of a SC and the price sent me to Vortech.

Quick Reply: Newbie here... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to ADD HP to the S2K is to