S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Starter Apparently Dead in 2 Months

Old 12-11-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Starter Apparently Dead in 2 Months

I replaced my starter with a rebuilt one 2 months ago. The battery is good, and the starter seemed fine until now. I get the solenoid click noise, and the car will push start just fine. I got it home, stopped the engine, and then it started right up once. Second time, dead as before with the solenoid click.

Does everyone buy rebuilt starters, or is a brand new $$$ starter recommended? I really don't want to go through that process again, but if I have to, I want it to be the last time on this car!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy a new one, but usually even rebuilt starters have some kind of warranty.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Maybe, test that battery. It may not be good. You may have a parasitic draw that is draining the battery of reserve starting current.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Current draw test from the starter, and voltage drop test would tell you know if the starter is ok or not, but I'd check the starter relay first.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Current draw test from the starter, and voltage drop test would tell you know if the starter is ok or not, but I'd check the starter relay first.
The battery has been tested and is good.

Is there a separate starter relay on the S2000, or is it simply the relay in the engine compartment fuse box? I assume you are not talking about the solenoid.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:58 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

How was the battery tested? You can't just assume your battery is charged because you put a volt meter and get 12.6 volts, that could be nothing but a surface charge(only true way to test a battery is to load test it(that means putting a 50 amp load for 15 seconds, waiting a few minutes then hit it with a load at half the cold cranking amps, voltage should not drop below 9.6v)). To test the current draw from the starter you need an inductive ammeter, but you can also test for voltage drop across the battery cable. You test by hooking up the positive lead to the positive terminal and the negative lead on the positive cable going to the starter. You disconnect the fuel injectors, or cam sensors, then crank the car. You should see less than .5 volts while cranking. More than that and you have high resistance going to your starter motor.

Yes there is a relay that sends current to the solenoid. In the under the dash fuse box there's three black box thingies at the bottom, those are relays, the starter cut relay is the one in the middle. Check that out, if the contacts are burned or corroded it could be the cheap answer to your problems.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:17 AM

How was the battery tested? You can't just assume your battery is charged because you put a volt meter and get 12.6 volts, that could be nothing but a surface charge(only true way to test a battery is to load test it(that means putting a 50 amp load for 15 seconds, waiting a few minutes then hit it with a load at half the cold cranking amps, voltage should not drop below 9.6v)). To test the current draw from the starter you need an inductive ammeter, but you can also test for voltage drop across the battery cable. You test by hooking up the positive lead to the positive terminal and the negative lead on the positive cable going to the starter. You disconnect the fuel injectors, or cam sensors, then crank the car. You should see less than .5 volts while cranking. More than that and you have high resistance going to your starter motor.

Yes there is a relay that sends current to the solenoid. Under the dash fuse box there's black box thingies, those are relays, the starter cut relay is the one in the middle. Check that out, if the contacts are burned or corroded it could be the cheap answer to your problems.
It was at a body shop when the starter acted up. They said they used a battery load tester, plus the starter behavior is no different when jumped to another running car. I may have to take it to a mechanic to do the current test - that's not something I can do with a cheap multimeter, and I don't want to buy a $300 tool for this. I will try the voltage drop test, but probably need to extend my multimeter leads.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by daeven
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101' timestamp='1449932339' post='23826115

Yes there is a relay that sends current to the solenoid. Under the dash fuse box there's black box thingies, those are relays, the starter cut relay is the one in the middle. Check that out, if the contacts are burned or corroded it could be the cheap answer to your problems.
It was at a body shop when the starter acted up. They said they used a battery load tester, plus the starter behavior is no different when jumped to another running car. I may have to take it to a mechanic to do the current test - that's not something I can do with a cheap multimeter, and I don't want to buy a $300 tool for this. I will try the voltage drop test, but probably need to extend my multimeter leads.
ETA: It is a new battery from early this Summer, not that that proves anything. Also, the relays look perfect with no corrosion, and I originally replaced the starter because the original was making the common screeching noise when starting.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

When I only heard the solenoid click the issue was the cable B was disconnected in this case. I had just replaced my clutch. But as other have said check the starter relay!

New Starter Apparently Dead in 2 Months-onuc3om.jpg
Old 12-13-2015, 01:27 PM

To test the current draw from the starter you need an inductive ammeter, but you can also test for voltage drop across the battery cable. You test by hooking up the positive lead to the positive terminal and the negative lead on the positive cable going to the starter. You disconnect the fuel injectors, or cam sensors, then crank the car. You should see less than .5 volts while cranking. More than that and you have high resistance going to your starter motor.
Well it's not actually cranking (usually) - I'm getting the solenoid click when pressing the start button. I went ahead and checked the voltage from the battery positive terminal to point A on Soviet's attached image. It returned 11.3V while the start button is pressed, which is definitely not right. Could this indicate that the solenoid has a short?

If I push start the car then shut it off, it will normally start using the starter at least once. I'm curious if I would see more appropriate voltage drop if I can get the starter to crank again.

Quick Reply: New Starter Apparently Dead in 2 Months