S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

new s2k owner w/ some basic questions

Old 04-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new s2k owner w/ some basic questions

i just bought a suzuka blue 2002 s2k w/ 70k on it two weeks ago. i have always owned trucks and built off-road vehicles and decided to change it up a little. i'm an automotively inclined guy when it comes to basic engine know-how and have always done my own work on my silverado and my explorer but the s2k is whole other animal and i had a few basic questions.

1. With my tax return i plan to do a full fluid change. oil, tranny, and rear end. i was looking into getting mobile 1 synthetic and was curious as to whether or not this was a good choice for someone who drives the car daily on the street but plans to use it hard from time to time? i want to build a clean and reliable performance driven street machine.

2. i will also be replacing the pads and rotors all the way around and wasn't too sure on whether or not to go with OEM equip. or to go with drilled and slotted rotors and aftermarket ceramic or semi metallic pads. i am unsure of which brands to go with if i go with either route.

3. I also have plans to install a cat-back exhaust system with my return but am unfamiliar with the import aftermarket brands. and want something with dual pipes and preferably a deep v8 kind of sound. not that raspy rice sound.

4. Lastly i plan at install an aftermarket intake of some kind. i know about k&n and AEM but am unsure of all those other brands out there and wanted some real world opinions on which set up would offer the best power gains for the dollar.

i am very serious about maintaining and modding my cars and would like serious advice from anyone who will offer it. any and all help will be greatly appreciated. thank guys
Old 04-17-2008, 01:27 PM

1. Mobile 1 would be fine - LOTS of info on all fluids in the oil journals in the Under the Hood forum!

2. If you go with aftermarket slotted/drilled be careful....If you realy want to go that route dont cheap out or you will end up with warped/cracked rotors. If you are doing it for the performance benefit...ironically it may be the hard driving in which you seek improvement, that causes failure. Personally, I'd stick with OEM. If you are hardcore, get a BBK.

3. Its a 2.0L that revs to 9k....you will not get a V8 sound out of it. It will sound like most other 4cyls with exhausts. Some may be marginally better than others. GL

4. I'd go with K&N....AEM IMO would risk hydrolock...if you arent worried about that I think those are the best bang for your buck!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:26 AM

[QUOTE=Nate4635,Apr 17 2008, 01:27 PM]

3. Its a 2.0L that revs to 9k....you will not get a V8 sound out of it.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:02 AM

I reccomend the Invidia exhaust with matching test pipe. Its loud deep, but has alot of drone to it. if you dont mind that then go for it.

stick with OEm pads and rotors unless you plan to track the car every weekend.

as far as intakes go the cheepest way would be for you to go with injen, or AEM, or K&N. But if you want JDM baller status then go with a Mugen or J's. more expensive, but better quality.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) For the tranny, use the Honda MTL from the dealer. It is much improved and is now my favorite tranny oil after using Redline and GM. For the diff, Mobil1 is fine, but LE1605 is probably the best. DO NOT ask the dealer for diff oil...they will likely give you diff oil for a CRV and it will kill our diff in a couple hundred miles. Mobil1 is fine for engine oil...but understand that if the car has only used dino oil and now has 70k miles, you may see some oil leaks as synthetic has more detergents than natural oil.

2) Unless you plan to track or autox, the oem is very good. Use the AP2 pads (MY2004+)...they have better inital bite and fit. Ceramic have great stopping power, but can squeeeeeeel like a stuck pig. As others have said...unless you pay huge $$ for the rotors, you will likely end up with solid blanks that have been drilled or slots machined...they will crack under heavy use.

3) If all you want is sound, then most people love the sound of the HKS...but don't expect to see any power gains...only sound. The T1R Sparrow is another nice dual...minor gains, and has a nice deep tone without drone. Be VERY careful when selecting an exhaust...find a group of s2k owners near you so you can go for a ride and listen for yourself (post in the local s2ki forums and introduce yourself...many areas are very active). Some exhausts, like the Invidia, are very cheap, very popular but are very loud and have lots of drone that most find unacceptable. Singles provide the most power and weight savings, but are generally louder than duals (with the exception of the Invidia).

4) Honestly, after being an owner and member of this community for nearly 7yrs...the only thing I would do for an intake is to get a cheap Spoon style snorkle off ebay, gut the airbox and put in a K&N filter. The oem intake is a great short ram...all it needs is a cold air source. A warning about the AEM V2 or Injen style intakes...there are risks of hydrolock...educate yourself before you decide to buy one of those so you are prepared to make a decision that is best for you and your climate/weather.