S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New s2k owner, running rich?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:31 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Exhaust cutout. By passing the secondary O2 sensor?

I commute many days in my S2000 in the summer and she seems to go 300 miles on a tank. About 25+ miles/gallon. Is there an aftermarket ECU in the car? 18mpg is abysmal.

-- Chuck
Old 03-07-2017, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Exhaust cutout. By passing the secondary O2 sensor?

I commute many days in my S2000 in the summer and she seems to go 300 miles on a tank. About 25+ miles/gallon. Is there an aftermarket ECU in the car? 18mpg is abysmal.

-- Chuck
The electric valve is right after the secondary sensor, but i do not use the valve. Tried it and it gets too loud and too.. umm... rice for my liking. Cool as an option to switch between two modes tho.

As for the gas mileage i'm not sure why thats messed up for me. No aftermarket ecu. Thinking the car is running too rich. I have a buddy that works with those Emission testers, gonna take it now and see whats up with that.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Car may have been turbo charged previously. The Test pipe cut out is something some guys choose to do. Then throw some stock parts back on the car after they part it out. Not saying that's what happened here, but do know a few guys that run them. That said, removing it and selling it to put back in a cat or normal TP might be higher on the list of things to do. Depending on how well it was executed, there still could be some amount of flow obstruction around the valve from carbon build up or just less then ideal build/execution.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:19 AM

Well, my friend that hooked it up to the emissions device told me that the car is running too rich, way richer than other s2ks that went through there.

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Car may have been turbo charged previously. The Test pipe cut out is something some guys choose to do. Then throw some stock parts back on the car after they part it out. Not saying that's what happened here, but do know a few guys that run them. That said, removing it and selling it to put back in a cat or normal TP might be higher on the list of things to do. Depending on how well it was executed, there still could be some amount of flow obstruction around the valve from carbon build up or just less then ideal build/execution.
There is some carbon build up on there, but not too much, rest of the exhaust has the same amount of carbon buildup. Tried cleaning the exhaust tips and after a night cruise its got some noticeable buildup.

Also i noticed that it burned some oil too, almost lost 1/5 of a quart for about 100 miles (did hit VTEC a few times )
Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by UnlickyDude
Well, my friend that hooked it up to the emissions device told me that the car is running too rich, way richer than other s2ks that went through there.

Also i noticed that it burned some oil too, almost lost 1/5 of a quart for about 100 miles (did hit VTEC a few times )
That can be a real problem. If consistent that would be a full quart in only 500 miles. If you are getting excessive oil burning/contamination on things like 02 sensors, plugs, things where it shouldn't belong, your efficiency will go down, but now I'm more concerned with why so much usage. Did you do a compression and leak down on the motor before purchasing? You may have some worn valves seals ( best case scenario) or bad piston oil control rings or both. Id like to see what your spark plugs look like as well as the tips of your 02 sensors. But based on your reported oil consumption, id say we are starting to get a more complete picture of at least part/or whole part of what the problem is on your efficiency and idle issues. What a shame for a motor with only 50k miles. I'm starting to think this car/motor was abused and or turbocharged/supercharged with a bad tune or carelessness from previous owner.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 03-08-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The recent replaced spark plugs concern me. It may be fouling plugs and this was the solution to sell it.

​​​​​​​have you looked for a tuning device?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
The recent replaced spark plugs concern me. It may be fouling plugs and this was the solution to sell it.

​​​​​​​have you looked for a tuning device?
Yep agreed, I'm concerned too.

But investing a lot of money in a tuning device and tune isn't going to fix a broken motor. Money best spent somewhere else. Like a compression and leakdown test for starters.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Don't know what happened here, but it would not be the first time an unscrupulous seller has taken steps to obscure problems. Seems like there have been several threads recently started by new buyers who have run into significant problems. There is a lesson here. Always do your due diligence. Truth is I did nothing when I bought mine last summer so I'm not being critical. I lucked out. So far anyway. My situation was a little different because there were no warning signs. Still, if I ever do this again, I will be more careful.

Last edited by rpg51; 03-08-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:57 PM

That can be a real problem. If consistent that would be a full quart in only 500 miles. If you are getting excessive oil burning/contamination on things like 02 sensors, plugs, things where it shouldn't belong, your efficiency will go down, but now I'm more concerned with why so much usage. Did you do a compression and leak down on the motor before purchasing? You may have some worn valves seals ( best case scenario) or bad piston oil control rings or both. Id like to see what your spark plugs look like as well as the tips of your 02 sensors. But based on your reported oil consumption, id say we are starting to get a more complete picture of at least part/or whole part of what the problem is on your efficiency and idle issues. What a shame for a motor with only 50k miles. I'm starting to think this car/motor was abused and or turbocharged/supercharged with a bad tune or carelessness from previous owner.
Yep agreed, I'm concerned too.

But investing a lot of money in a tuning device and tune isn't going to fix a broken motor. Money best spent somewhere else. Like a compression and leakdown test for starters.
I got the car "tested" in a Honda garage.. Aperantly they missed tons of stuff..

I am going to work on it the next weekend, This weekend I have overtime and won't be able to work on it.

If the ecu was tuned, won't an ecu reset get rid of the tune? Or would it be too risky due to the condition of my sensors?

Originally Posted by rpg51
Don't know what happened here, but it would not be the first time an unscrupulous seller has taken steps to obscure problems. Seems like there have been several threads recently started by new buyers who have run into significant problems. There is a lesson here. Always do your due diligence. Truth is I did nothing when I bought mine last summer so I'm not being critical. I lucked out. So far anyway. My situation was a little different because there were no warning signs. Still, if I ever do this again, I will be more careful.
Yeah, I guess I shouldt have bought a car from impulse. It was a stupid decision by me and I have regretted it.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:29 PM

Pulled the codes from my ecu just now, getting missfires in all cylinders/multiple missfire. Don't notice any power loss though

Quick Reply: New s2k owner, running rich?