S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New S2K owner. Handling quirks

Old 07-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mxt, you hit it on the head. That's exactly what I tried (poorly I guess) to describe. As long as there's no weight transfer, the car's fine. Even when I'm cornering much faster than when I feel this "squirm" as long as I keep the pedal down and keep the weight on the rear suspension it's great.

It's purely a transitional issue. Once the car's taken a set in a corner it's fine. It's a confidence thing too. Maybe this is just how the S2K works with the stock suspension and it's something I need to get used to.

I have yet to get what I would consider to be real oversteer, cornering at the limits with the rear slipping more than the front. I'm not confident enough in it to push that hard.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jul 14 2006, 01:26 PM
Reducing the grip available at the rear of the car HAS to aggrivate any oversteer issues, and if that isn't true then I want to understand why.
I don't disagree with this statement at all... but I'm pretty sure he said this wasn't an oversteer issue... i.e, the tires aren't breaking traction. It's just a feeling of "instability" in the rear.

Originally Posted by Ek9
I'd agree it could be tires if the rear was really breaking loose. It's not. The rear suspension's just moving in a weird way when it unloads while in a corner. It just feels like oversteer.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=smyroad,Jul 14 2006, 12:40 PM]On one entrance ramp on my way home from work, I get the weight transfer steering effect.

It's an up hill right turn after a light so I'm usually accelerating up it.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=mxt_77,Jul 14 2006, 01:39 PM]I don't disagree with this statement at all... but I'm pretty sure he said this wasn't an oversteer issue... i.e, the tires aren't breaking traction.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=Ek9,Jul 14 2006, 01:34 PM]Mxt, you hit it on the head. That's exactly what I tried (poorly I guess) to describe.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:44 AM

215/45R16 !! 205-55-16 is stock, so your an inch off in diameter, among your other problems.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Ek9
Banned

Red, I'm taking it all in and filtering out the parts I think I need and that apply. I appreciate the posts even the ones I don't think apply. MXT says he's experienced the same thing I have so, that's step #1. It's not just me. He described it better than I did too.

I have an appointment to get an alignment Tuesday so, that's step #2. I'll mark all the adjuster points once I'm sure the alignment's correct so, I can see if anything changes.

At 52K miles, the car's got enough wear on it that it's time to think about freshening up the bushings and shocks. I notice some slight cracking in the bushing rubber for the front lower arm for example. That's going to be an ongoing project.

Aggie, what problems exactly would you expect a difference of 1 inch in tire height to make? Yeah, the speedo's going to be off some. What else?

Old 07-14-2006, 01:59 PM
TJF

My car does the exact same thing on new rubber with a good alignment.

Here are the conditions where it does it:

1.uphill grade
2. slight bend
3. under mild/moderate acceleration

when I depress the clutch to shift, the car "wiggles" like lift throttle oversteer

I know you shouldnt shift mid-corner, but im not talking about spirited driving, Im talking about going to the grocery store shifting at 4k rpms. I agree that it is creepy, but I think it is somewhat normal. My conclusion is that the car is really well balanced from the factory and the combination of mild lateral g's and semi abrupt pause in acceleration when shifting is enough to transition the weight of the car to the front, increasing the scrub angle of the rear and resulting in a tighter turn radius (aka oversteer)

Just my take on it.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Ek9
Banned

Actually Aggie, I can answer my own question now. The rear tire is the same height, the front is 1" shorter. That means there's less weight transfer in the front and conversely more in the back so, having a shorter front wheel means more oversteer.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant but, you did make me research it.

Thanks, TJF another good explanation.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Ek9,Jul 14 2006, 03:04 PM] Actually Aggie, I can answer my own question now. The rear tire is the same height, the front is 1" shorter. That means there's less weight transfer in the front and conversely more in the back so, having a shorter front wheel means more oversteer.

Quick Reply: New S2K owner. Handling quirks