S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New S2K owner

Old 01-23-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New S2K owner

Hi all! First time poster and hopefully soon to be owner of an S2K!

I found a good deal on 2002 model w/ 116K mi on it. Clean CarFax and "felt" good during the test drive. I really want a stock S2K as this will be a weekend fun car and not a track or Daily Driver. If the picture below works you will see the engine bay with aftermarket bracing and what looks to be a K&N intake/air filter. I do not see any other mods with the engine. Any feedback on whether the air intake/filter is something I should be concerned about? Thanks for any responses!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/189925309263477222/[/img]
Old 01-23-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Your link doesn't work. An intake/filter are nothing to be concerned about. Check and see if the filter is dirty or clogged with dirt and debris. Any random sounds while starting or driving?
Old 01-23-2016, 01:24 PM

Shoot! I know the link works when I click on it. Thanks for the reply. Filter was clean and in good shape. I plan to get it to a shop to do a full look over shortly.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the link doesn't work, its hard to say. But an intake is very common and nothing to be worried about.

It's always best to find an s2k with low miles, something 60k or below is great but can be hard to find. Try and see how many previous owners the car has had. Check out the belts, boots, brakes, and tires. Tire wear can be a good indicator of how the car was driven.

Listen to the valves when the car is idling and during driving and look for loud clicking/ticking. Test drive it and pay attention to how it shifts at low & high speeds; see if there is any clunking, grinding, or other strange noises.

If possible do a compression test & a leak down test to get an idea of how the internals are doing.

If all this checks out, you should be fine. Honda's are great motors and can take a beating.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:08 AM

Trying attachment again... Clutch/Trans was great pulled strong in all gears. No noticeable ticking from engine. 3 owners, looks like it could have been a daily driver, but the seats and overall condition is very good for the age, so it was well taken care of. I am probably pulling the trigger and getting her this week!

After market intake looks to be installed half-ass. Note the shop rag to keep from rattle. It needs to be correctly attached. That's all I could see...

https://i.imgur.com/hSgJkbO.jpg[/img][/img][/img]
Old 01-24-2016, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is not an aftermarket intake. It is the OEM intake with the stock airbox removed and what looks like a cheap ebay high flow filter. The reason it would rattle is the OEM intake arm just sits inside the airbox so when they removed the airbox it not being supported by anything. I don't see any reason the previous owner would remove the airbox other then for sound. But it will definitely decrease performance from engine heatsoak.

With saying that if the engine runs well and doesn't have any weird sounds you should be fine. I would recommend reinstalling the OEM airbox and and OEM or K&N filter.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by steelers743
That is not an aftermarket intake. It is the OEM intake with the stock airbox removed and what looks like a cheap ebay high flow filter. The reason it would rattle is the OEM intake arm just sits inside the airbox so when they removed the airbox it not being supported by anything. I don't see any reason the previous owner would remove the airbox other then for sound. But it will definitely decrease performance from engine heatsoak.

With saying that if the engine runs well and doesn't have any weird sounds you should be fine. I would recommend reinstalling the OEM airbox and and OEM or K&N filter.

Awesome - Thanks for pointing that out. I will definitely get the stock airbox back in and probably put K&N filter on. Love the knowledge on this board!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

You know, the OEM Honda filter (17220-PCX-003, for your 2002), is a pretty darn good filter. Cheaper than K&N, too.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

The cross brace is ugly and isn't necessary in this chassis but doesn't hurt anything. The filter seems to be an Ebay cheapie. Probably sounds pretty good but is sucking very hot air from behind the radiator. Are you getting the stock air box? Better other than no induction noise.

Here's my cross brace and K&N FIPK. Worth it for the induction noise and probably a couple of horse power as it's in a box fed with cooler air.

-- Chuck

Old 01-24-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The cross brace is ugly and isn't necessary in this chassis but doesn't hurt anything. The filter seems to be an Ebay cheapie. Probably sounds pretty good but is sucking very hot air from behind the radiator. Are you getting the stock air box? Better other than no induction noise.

Here's my cross brace and K&N FIPK. Worth it for the induction noise and probably a couple of horse power as it's in a box fed with cooler air.

-- Chuck

Thanks Chuck! Your set up is exactly how I want mine to look. I think the big red brace will need to come off to install K&N heat shield anyhow. Thx!

Quick Reply: New S2K owner