S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New s2000 owner - shift gate clunky?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
If you shift at low RPM, cluck is very very common.

Bring the RPMs up to 4500 or so before shifting. This is the normal operating speed for the engine, and transmission.
I think the "clunk" happens around any rpm, and pretty random. When I do bring the engine speed up to 4K+ before shifting, I can get my shifts smoother by not waiting for the gear to "catch." However, if i wait for it to "catch" the engines already spun down too much for a smooth engagement.

From what i read, it seems the clunk is normal - and likely due to the fluids not being changed and/or possible some tweak to shift lever. I just noticed that I have an aftermarket boot - the oem boots don't come with white stitching right? Perhaps I have a short shifter installed?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acn684
Thanks guys, i was going to do these:

1. Trans Fluid Change (Honda MTF)
2. Diff Fluid Change (Mobil 75w90)
3. Motor Fluid Change (RP 10W30)
4. Clutch Fluid Change (Honda DOT3?)
5. Check and Re grease Shifter
6. Check Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder for leaks.

Prior to the knob change, i think the clunkiness was there but I'm not sure. I'm confused because sometimes it would go into gear silky smooth and sometimes I have to push it past the bite, more often i have to push it past the bite. I just don't want to be messing anything up.
Changing the brake fluid too, right?
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=540550
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/482...t__p__10329320
Old 07-21-2011, 05:21 AM

Thanks for the tips guys; I'm gonna change out the fluids tomorrow and report back. I'm going to regrease the shifter Saturday then report back.

Dwight: should the brake fluid be changed? I always figured its harder to abuse brakes than the rest of the parts I mentioned.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years, and the car is 7 years old... probably due.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years, and the car is 7 years old... probably due.
Hrm....interesting.

I guess i'll sort out this transmission thing first and then work on that. I have a feeling the engine mounts are going to crap too - the car likes to "Shudder" for maybe 0.5 secs before it shuts down.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acn684
Thanks for the tips guys; I'm gonna change out the fluids tomorrow and report back. I'm going to regrease the shifter Saturday then report back.

Dwight: should the brake fluid be changed? I always figured its harder to abuse brakes than the rest of the parts I mentioned.
As far as abusing brake fluid, if you run the brakes too hot, you boil the fluid. The brakes will get spongy and such. This is unlikely to be an issue unless you track the car.

Brake fluid should be changed regularly because it is hygroscopic, so it picks up moisture from the air. As a result, it will get water in it and can cause rusting. I've been negligent in this in my RSX and the piston in the front driver's side caliper seized. (In addition the water will lower the brake fluid's boiling point.)

Changing brake fluid is pretty easy to do, but it's also pretty easy to forget about.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 AM

I got all the fluids changed out over the weekend and i regreased the shifter. Didn't seem to see any damage, may consider just getting a new assembly as it isn't that expensive.

The shifting seemed to have smoothed out after the oil change but the notchiness came back with some use. I'm thinking i'll try GM Syncromesh next time or maybe towards the end of the summer and flush it out myself.

Other points I noticed: the gear "catch" feeling occurs more likely when I upshift and i rarely feel it on the downshift. Based on shifting habits, I pause longer in between shifts when I downshift. Perhaps I should try to adjust the freeplay on the clutch to let it out quicker and allow the syncros to do their work quicker?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds mostly normal to me. Good ol' xviper/repiv recommended waiting a bit on shifts as you've mentioned before actually putting the shifter into a gear. Definitely don't force it.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Another thing Billman's mentioned in the past is rusty splines in the trans - not enough grease from factory so when they dry out, shifting gets bulkier.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 AM

How do you resolve rusty splines?

Quick Reply: New s2000 owner - shift gate clunky?