S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New s2000.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lesson learned for you. Look at the pinch welds for clamp marks, notorious issue with S2000s and is exactly what happened with my 05. I was able to get the stealership to buy back mine by simply threatening action via an attorney...and that was after like 6 months.

Mine was Honda Certified though, yours may me more difficult since you knew there were repairs made and it was As-Is

Sorry that happened to you though, I know how it feels and it sucks :/.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

You should be on the phone right now, on your way to the dealer to return the car. If they don't cut you a check immediately, bring in the media and bury their reputation. Give them that last chance to save their name.

Your purchase is only a small part of the big picture, but this advice will always stand: NEVER buy a modified car from a dealer.

Buy an S2000 from a long term member on s2ki, there are plenty for sale.

This way you have a big history on who you are buying from, and will get every pennys worth of your purchase.

From bone stock low mile to FI, take your pick here.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

man the horrors. damn sleazeballs stealerships.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
You should be on the phone right now, on your way to the dealer to return the car. If they don't cut you a check immediately, bring in the media and bury their reputation. Give them that last chance to save their name.

Your purchase is only a small part of the big picture, but this advice will always stand: NEVER buy a modified car from a dealer.

Buy an S2000 from a long term member on s2ki, there are plenty for sale.

This way you have a big history on who you are buying from, and will get every pennys worth of your purchase.

From bone stock low mile to FI, take your pick here.
I'm not returning anything to them: They can come here with a rollback and pick it up.. I've spent all the time/money I'm going to spend on this piece of garbage. Legal action Thursday if I have no response from them. I'm not gonna play games with them.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I know you want to put your foot down, but in America when you want your money back, you return the merchandise. They don't come and get it. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face here.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

billman's right I worked for a Honda stealership for 15 years and can tell you when people started talking lawyers the communication would stop and they would fight in court and that could take a long time its a common ploy used to get the normal person to submit because most cant afford to fight good luck either way I hope you get you money back
Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by s2k manic
billman's right I worked for a Honda stealership for 15 years and can tell you when people started talking lawyers the communication would stop and they would fight in court and that could take a long time its a common ploy used to get the normal person to submit because most cant afford to fight good luck either way I hope you get you money back
I appreciate you guys and the info you provide . I'm not trying to be cocky here, but I'm not your average consumer and I will clean house by whatever means necessary to get my money back, even if it means hiring an attorney and paying legal fees, which I'll also get back in the end. I'm not a millionaire and 15k is not throw away money to me, so I'll fight tooth and nail until it's made right. I do, however, have resources available to me to match them blow for blow in this fight. I hate this as bad as the next person and I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure they don't f@#k anyone else like they did me. I would love to tell you guys who they are, but I've been advised not to mention their name at the moment for reasons of mutual interest. Bill, I'll take the car back to them if they agree to undo this deal, I'm just pissed and spouted off out of anger earlier. This will NOT end well for them if they don't. I'll setup a free lemonade stand on the sidewalk in front of their dealership and tell ALL of their customers what happened if they f@#k around too much, 5 days a week until my vacation days are all burnt up. That will surely make the news.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM

Make sure to keep us posted on this situation, Very interested to see how this turns out!
Hope everything works out for you and the pathetic dealership learn a lesson, best of luck!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:16 AM

Thanks everyone . My sister is an attorney but can't rep me due to conflict of interest. Her firm, however, will be doing business for me if possible, and will refer me to another if not. I'll keep the thread updated, trust me .
Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 AM

Edit: Mis-read your post.

You should make *damn* sure you have a case with a competent attorney before you go in.

You said:

"I knew the car had a reconstructed title due to an accident, but was ASSURED that it was restored to certified condition by Honda".

The vehicle isn't Honda certified...it's too old to begin with and those modifications would have made it ineligible. Unless you got something in writing that explicitly stated that there was not frame damage, I do not see any way that this is a automatic win for you.

You knowingly bought a car with a rebuilt title that was extensively modified. I understand your frustration,I really do but I think it was your responsibility, especially knowing that it had a rebuilt title, to be extra diligent in assessing the extent of the damage.

The dealership, as far as I can see, did not break any laws by selling you this vehicle. They disclosed the rebuilt title status to you and you accepted that. Perhaps they didn't elaborate on the extent of the damage or maybe they didn't know...but you also didn't do enough probing to see why it had a rebuilt title.

"(E) If a motor vehicle titled with a salvage certificate of title is restored for operation upon the highways, application shall be made to a clerk of a court of common pleas for a certificate of title. Upon inspection by the state highway patrol, which shall include establishing proof of ownership and an inspection of the motor number and vehicle identification number of the motor vehicle and of documentation or receipts for the materials used in restoration by the owner of the motor vehicle being inspected, which documentation or receipts shall be presented at the time of inspection, the clerk, upon surrender of the salvage certificate of title, shall issue a certificate of title for a fee prescribed by the registrar. The certificate of title shall be in the same form as the original certificate of title and shall bear the words "REBUILT SALVAGE" in black boldface letters on its face. Every subsequent certificate of title, memorandum certificate of title, or duplicate certificate of title issued for the motor vehicle also shall bear the words "REBUILT SALVAGE" in black boldface letters on its face. The exact location on the face of the certificate of title of the words "REBUILT SALVAGE" shall be determined by the registrar, who shall develop an automated procedure within the automated title processing system to comply with this division. The clerk shall use reasonable care in performing the duties imposed on the clerk by this division in issuing a certificate of title pursuant to this division, but the clerk is not liable for any of the clerk's errors or omissions or those of the clerk's deputies, or the automated title processing system in the performance of those duties. A fee of fifty dollars shall be assessed by the state highway patrol for each inspection made pursuant to this division and shall be deposited into the state highway safety fund established by section 4501.06 of the Revised Code. "

http://bmv.ohio.gov/salvage_inspection.stm
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4519.61

If it has a rebuilt salvage title, the highway patrol inspected it.

"The purpose of this inspection is to verify the ownership of all parts and to review all required documentation. The inspection is not intended to certify the vehicle's safety, road worthiness, or the quality of workmanship."

Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: New s2000.