S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Robbins Top - Anyone with instructions?

Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Default New Robbins Top - Anyone with instructions?

Got my top Robbins soft top cloth yesterday, it came with the elastic strap, some hardware and pre-drilled holes in the rear. Came with no instructions, anyone got a copy of it? I have read through all the DIY soft top replacement, I just want to be sure I am not missing anything as I am going to install the top this weekend.

I am absolutely tired of trying to fix my 2005 top.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

the closest you will find to a DIY is a post by Cyclon36.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...ns-top-448840/

Having done over 250+ S2000 top replacements myslef, and knowing how long it took the first time, 15 hours, be sure to plan for 2 days to get it done. Stay focused, be meticulous and if something gives you trouble and you're getting frustrated, take a break and come back to it.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Consider repairing the faulty weld....

Hey V,

Excellent advice by 2poor2mod!

You may want to try repairing the faulty weld while you have the top off, should make this one last longer. See comment by TT Martin (dated 02-26-2011, 12:30 PM) in the following S2ki link "file down the weld fragment on the hinge pin...."

http://s2000.com/forums/new-s2000-co...-problems.html

IDK, seems like a file, sand paper and flat black paint would fix the rough spots on the outer edge of the support bar(s).

Service Manual:

http://s2000.club/OM/2000-08%20Honda%20S2000%20SM.pdf

pg 1305-1309

Probably would be best if you have a helper.

Nice top!
Old 07-19-2019, 10:28 AM

You guys are the best! Thanks for the PDF link, I have been searching for it as I only found the AP1 version. Will check out the welds and I think I will stop by a fabric store and get some thin sticky felt pads to replace some areas needed them.

I have 2 days and no sign of rain (SoCal), I am sure study and patients is key here, don't want to tear install my new $785 top.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:33 AM

One question, Cyclone36 had additional straps to the bars that I do not have on my 05, maybe only the plastic window on the 2000s have them?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vicrc
One question, Cyclone36 had additional straps to the bars that I do not have on my 05, maybe only the plastic window on the 2000s have them?
not necessary for your install. Those straps are for the 00-01 cars converting to a glass window. you have springs that take care of this on your car.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Guys with 200+ successful roof installs can do this job in 3 or 4 hours with a staggering number of tools they've specialized for the job -- the tool list in the linked article is deceivingly short. Stories here run to 2+ days of detail work. And flooded interiors and trunks from those taking shortcuts.

I can't imagine doing this job and certainly not alone. I'd consider renting or buying a shelter of some sort as working out in the sun for two days can be brutal. Hopefully your work area is your suburban driveway and not an apartment parking lot.

At this point there's no turning back:

Invite your friends to triple check your work each step. Drink beer only after the test drive.

My "expertise" comes from watching @2poor2mod install my roof. Photo above.

-- Chuck
Old 07-19-2019, 09:28 PM

I hear you on working under the sun, no joy at all, unless I am driving my S2000. I have a garage but I have way too many RC model airplanes in there! However I did build this sun shade to protect my cars 3 years ago and its held up very well.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 PM

Well, when I got home from work I was very eager to remove the old ragtop. I did it without cutting up the fabric, however I ended up cutting the pieces that went inside the two bars so I could just slide it out easily. It was not too bad to remove the rear tray, with the top on, seeing so many DIY on this, it felt like I knew exactly where the attachment points where. Hardest part was removing the small tray behind the driver side, the rear defroster wires needed to be released from the tray, I was able to release the plastic loop snap with a pair of pliers accessed from the trunk.

I had enough time to replace the strap that was included with the top. I removed the rain channel, cleaned it and installed it on the new top, I added the rain channel inside the house as it was the cleanest place to do so. The Robbins top did not have the center support piece with a snap cover that held the defrost wire, I removed it from the old top and glued it on. That little snap cover took me 30 minutes trying to figure out how to remove it, I ended up using a small hook (similar to dental scrapper).

Removing the top and prepping the new top took me about 4 hours, taking my time, rechecking every step. First time is always the longest and I absolutely hate breaking things.

Last edited by vicrc; 07-19-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 PM

I am trying to figure out how to replace some of the double sided tape in some places where the top attaches to. You guys have a preferred brand for double sided tape will carpet tape work? Don't want anything to thick as it may cause some problems.

Quick Reply: New Robbins Top - Anyone with instructions?